ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ProductCart 3 v. Miva Merchant 5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote locojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ProductCart 3 v. Miva Merchant 5
    Posted: 10-August-2006 at 6:27am
I've scoured the internet for comparisons of the two products, and they simply don't exist. While PC has a full list of features on its site (thank you!), Miva speaks in generalities. And aside from merely playing with the online demos (of which Miva's is the better designed to show off functionality), I don't know where to get more information.

Is there anyone here who has used both products and switched to PC? If so, could you decribe why?

I'm really torn between which to choose and why, and I'm not sure where else to look for info.

Thank you.
MarkCoyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkCoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 11:01am

I haven't done a transfer but know a tiny bit about Miva as I checked it out pre ProductCart.

For me downloadable products was absolutely vital matced to flexible categories and previewing the music.   I checked out Atinic etc which supposed focus on these but they didn't compare to PC well.   I must have demo-ed 20 or so packages without any exageration from opensource packages to full on large e-commerce packages. 

Miva in v5 doens't do downloadable products so it wasn't an option for me.  Even in version 4 it was a mod a third party did rather than integral to the product.

Aspects that concerned me about Miva were:

1.  Looked very complex in configuration with extra tool kits etc although this made it very flexible.

2.  Seems to feature a lot of extra paid additional modules, rather the core components.

3.  Like you, I couldn't really get to grips with what actually it was.

4.  The experience time to market for set-up / config in the forums seemed longer than I was aiming for.

These are only perceptions and being here, I ended up with PC so I'm bound to have a partial view.   There are of course viable alternatives to ProductCart, some of which looked more viable for my use as alternatives.

Rather than do a sales job here for EarlyImpact, if you need any experiences or thoughts of strengths / weaknesses feel free to email directly.

cheers

Mark

netprofits View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 12:06pm
We have not used Miva ourselves but we had one client who was using Miva (about 2 years ago) and found it very difficult to maintain his site with it. He is fairly technical and knows HTML but just felt Miva was hard to use as the merchant.
NetProfits Internet Consulting

Certified ProductCart Developer

Our Site
Uniforms guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uniforms guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 5:51pm

I 've used Miva 4 (plus ton of OUI modules) since 2000. It's not flexible in term of customization even with the Miva5. I am looking for to migrate to either PC or VP-ASP. I prefer the ASP-based systems because they are open source, furthermore PC offers many essential built-in features which you have to purchase if you use Miva. The only thing hold me back at this moment because PC hasn't offer a Customer feature (Available group) which is very important to me as well other PC users AND that is also the ONLY reason that I still stuck with Miva. I am in search for a third party plug-in for using with PC, the minute I found that solution, I will dump the dinosaur-technology Miva at once. If I had a chance to start all over, I will go with PC. However if you decide to go with Miva, then I have a full new copy of Miva5 license for sale at $350.00 ($995.00 at Miva) plus 4 hours to help you setup & Config. + Storeman ( a third party app. which is very help ful for Import, Export, Edit Cat/SubCat, Products, Attributes, options; worth around $300.00). But as I stated, PC is a far better product.

MarkCoyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkCoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 5:55pm
Hi

explain what you're trying to do with the customer feature (available group) once more.... maybe we can sort this as a user community or encourage EI to find a way.

I've found the ability to set up price categories and add customers to it, giving them access to wholesale price, list price, store price etc to be invaluable within v3.

cheers
Mark

ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 6:16pm

Hi Uniforms Guy: we definitely encourage you to play around with the new "Pricing Category" feature in v3. This is one of the features that takes ProductCart a huge step forward in version 3. We spent a lot of time on it, and we use it actively ourselves on our software store to manage reseller pricing (we have different levels of resellers).

http://www.earlyimpact.com/demos/standard/pcadmin/AdminCusto merCategory.asp

Use the built in help (little yellow icons) to learn more about individual features. Basically:

• You can have unlimited pricing categories and assign customers to them
  • You can set up a pricing category so that it also gives "wholesale" priveledges, which in ProductCart means payment options not available to retails customers, tax-excemption, etc.
  • You can override the price set by the pricing category (e.g. 10% off all products) at the individual product levels (e.g. "Gold Customers" get 10% off everything, but 15% off product XYZ, and 20% off product ABC).
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
MarkCoyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkCoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 6:21pm
It took me a while to realise the power of this.

The term 'pricing categories' only hints at the flexibility - it's actually also a 'customer categories' tool.   The preceding post from EI confirms this - it might be this new feature gives you what you need.

cheers
Mark
Uniforms guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uniforms guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2006 at 6:56pm

Hi Mark,

An "Available Group" feature will let us pre-defined a group(s) of customers who are authorized to buy a certain group(s) of products. Other customers might be abale to view those products but not be able to buy them

For example, I sell Uniforms. I supply Uniforms for FedEx and UPS employees. I would like the PC provides:

when the FedEx employees LogIn (after SignUp), the PC will let them purchase the FedEx uniforms category/products but not the UPS category and/or UPS products.

By the same token, when the UPS employees logIn, they will be able to purchase their particular UPS uniforms, NOT Airborne-Express or FedEx uniforms.

I hope I didn't confuse you,

Mariot

MarkCoyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkCoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2006 at 5:22am

I have given some thought to this and might of found how to do it.  I'll test it later tonight for you.

In version 3, you can set up categories to be hidden in the store front.  Once established the page will have the same URL every time for the category.

So you would associate products with a 'FedEx' category or a 'UPS' category and NOT show them in the store front.

Then you issue a URL to the Fedex customers that only shows the FedEx products in their category and vice versa for UPS.

Neither set of customers would know or be able to find the others' category page.

Assuming a test / EI confirm this works, it may provide the solution you need.

cheers

Mark

locojones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote locojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2006 at 7:07am
Getting back on the topic, I've been reading and playing with demos more.

I have some questions about PC for you guys:

1. I see how Miva uses its StoreMorph technology to allow you to edit the look and feel of the pages. How is changing the look of PC accomplished? I know it's CSS-based, are there templates somewhere too?

2. I recently found
TheSimpleLeaf as an example of a real PC store, and think its one of the best looking sites I've run across, period. I'm really curious how they made the "Shopping Bag" showing the # of items and a total in the right hand column. I don't recall seeing a feature like that in the admin panel of the demo store.

Is it something that can be easily relocated around the page?

3. I may need to use some sort of freight shipping because some of the products I am considering selling are heavy. Has anyone had to use something like this, and how did you add it to the program?

4. How easy or difficult is it to find an ASP developer familiar with the program? And how easy or difficult would it be to have modifications made, if they were required?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic