ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Others > Web Hosting for ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recommended App Pool Size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick_N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommended App Pool Size
    Posted: 11-March-2011 at 4:34pm
Hi there,
A while back Mark(Cognecy) provided me some valuable information on what to look for when finding a hosting company. I have been extremely happy with my current host and I had no problems with my application pool recycling. Now on a regular basis I receive the error that the app pool is reaching the resource limit so the app pool gets recycled automatically. My current pool is 200MB which I believe at the time was sufficient. I can't say for sure when this started recycling. The recommended size at the time was to get an app pool that would provide 200MB to comfortably run PC, which was for PC v3xx.
What would be the recommended size for v4? Has there been an increase in the application size that may warrant me to start shopping again?

Thanks!
EveningSecrets Lingerie...what 'every body' wants
EveningSecrets Lingerie
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2011 at 4:49pm
It probably would not change from v3 to v4.  More than likely, additional sites have been moved to your server and thus overloading the box.  You may need to ask them to move your site to a fresh box with less sites.
GreyBeard Design Group
Certified ProductCart Developer
Web Design/Development/Hosting
Add-Ons & Custom Code | Stores
Rick_N View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick_N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2011 at 4:56pm
Thanks Greg,
maybe you can clear something up for me. I am on a dedicated application pool so I assumed that I had 200MB dedicated to my app only. I assume I am wrong in that assumption!
EveningSecrets Lingerie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2011 at 5:07pm
You can ask that they increase the pool size, but again, I suspect you are on a server that is maxed out.  Just spoke with Mark, he's tied up at the moment and cannot jump into this thread - but he and I share this view.  You may have a dedicated pool but if the available resources on the box are maxed out, it's a problem.  Such is what one faces with discount hosting services, and looking at your host, it seems that that's just what these folks are?
GreyBeard Design Group
Rick_N View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick_N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2011 at 5:16pm
Thanks Greg, you have been a big help.
Unfortunately many small businesses such as myself cannot warrant the cost of a reliable and reputable company and we end up with the discounted services. It's the old saying,  we get what we pay for .
It appears to me as you stated the resources on the box are at the limit as the problem I believe has just recently popped up. I will push the idea of moving my site over to a new box.

Thanks again for the information. You guys are always a big help!
EveningSecrets Lingerie
Rick_N View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick_N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2011 at 10:52am
Hi again guys,
OK I spoke with my hosting company and put a request in to have my site moved to another box which had less load on the server. This is what came back to me:

I see your web application pool is recycling 3-4 times a day because your application is hitting the 200mb memory limit, at which point the application pool has to be recycled. This isn't because of the server load, but because your application is consuming this much memory, causing the issue. Each customer is using their own individual application pool, so any issues are due to your own application going over the limit. Please note moving to another server would not cause much of a difference, because as previous explained, it's only your application causing the memory issue

Would this be in your opinion a company that is just providing me a standard answer? I know it was mentioned that regardless of being in a dedicated pool others can still hog resources. I guess I'm more confused than anything now.

Thanks.
EveningSecrets Lingerie
Rick_N View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick_N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2011 at 11:06am
To pull this thread apart a little, in IIS7 I am able to use SessionState and store sessions via SQL database. The problem the web hosting company states is it is not compatible with Classic ASP applications. Are you aware of any work around for this or does it work with Classic ASP just to verify?
EveningSecrets Lingerie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2011 at 11:19am
I don't want to speculate on their offering a standard answer, or if that's what they truly believe and can demonstrate.  However, it appears you are not going to get them to move the site, so all you can do is speculate on what might change (or not) if they actually wanted to cooperate.

Is your store stock code?  Do you have any program mods in the code that could be causing issues?  What version code are you running?
GreyBeard Design Group
Rick_N View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick_N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2011 at 11:23am
Sorry to keep throwing things out there but I'm trying to understand as much as possible on how PC actually interacts with servers, app pools and connections.
I have been doing as much researching as I can and one thing that I hope can be clarified is how the memory is allocated to PC. Is it a dynamic change where if more users are conneting to my site more memory is being consumed? Or is it just the bandwidth that is being used? Or once the application starts is that all the application pool is going to consume, that being the amount of memory PC requires.
I know it's a little off of this thread but I think it's all related in one way or another.

Thanks!
EveningSecrets Lingerie
Rick_N View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick_N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2011 at 11:39am
There are mods, but I keep track of them all and made sure their were no leaks or open connections. Most are only cosmetic. I will however go through this one more time. I use the latest version of PC inc all patches and fixes up to date as current. This also effects my test site where there are no mods at all, however it's hard to say if it's not related to the live site since they are in the same app pool.
Thanks Greg, and I will revisit any code changes I have made just to verify all is well.

Rick
EveningSecrets Lingerie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic