ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Build To Order > Using BTO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Request a Quote -> Order

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Request a Quote -> Order
    Posted: 29-November-2008 at 6:00pm
Request for Quote's become a big differentiator for a proposal I'm creating.

I see a lot of questions on the forums about why only BTO products can have a Request for Quote feature with recommendations of work-arounds that are too much to consider for thousands of products. I'd like to understand why this is restricted to just BTO products?

Are there any plans to allow admins to easily change a quote into an order?

Christie Mason
cmason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2008 at 7:33am
One part of the answer could be to dump all product views to configurePrd.asp (see redirect at top of viewprd.asp for BTO products and change to redirect for all hits). It doesn't have as much descriptive info as viewPrd.asp for standard pages, which is something that's previously bothered me, but that's easy to add.

Also interesting is that the client side of managing quotes does include a "Review and Order" function. If that could just be added to the admin side, that w/b good.

Meanwhile, if anyone else is wondering where to find the manage Quotes area in the Admin panel. In V3.5 it's under "REPORTS". I don't know why, but that's where I found it.
cmason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2008 at 8:06am
I should have held off on the comment about it being easy to make configurePrd.asp be as descriptive (brands, weight etc) and have functions like reviews and addt'l images similar to viewPrd.asp. It was easy to align the two pages in V2.76 but in V3.5 it looks like configurePrd.asp has been somewhat orphanized from changes to viewPrd.asp. Now I'm completely flummoxed in determining if it w/b better to add viewprd code to configurePrd or vice versa and not happy about either choice.

cmason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2008 at 11:49am
I've spent more time on this and all the snazzy display in viewPrd.asp is definitely missing in the BTO/configurePrd.asp page. To my way of thinking configurePrd.asp is the money page, it's the reason for paying the extra for BTO version and the added complexity of managing products. To have it be significantly less rich than the standard viewprd.asp page isn't good.

My final resolution was to go back to the V2.76 way. Comment out the auto redirect to configurePrd.asp for BTO produts, add a link to configurePrd.asp from viewPrd.asp for "Request A Quote".

I'm disappointed that I had to go backwards to go forwards and hope the next version will have the same display features, along with "Add a Quote" function for standard products.

As far as changing a quote request to an order, I'm just hoping I can reuse the code in the client's login area within the CP/admin area.

ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2008 at 4:45am
If you are referring to the new zoom feature, this will be addressed in the next release (or you can open a support ticket and request the updated files).

What other information that is not displayed on the configuration page you believe should be displayed there? Please post a list here and we will certainly review it and keep it in mind for the next release.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
cmason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2008 at 10:05am
I've pretty much figured out the problem, still haven't figured out a resolution. If I redirect a standard product (viewProd.asp) to the BTO page (configurePrd.asp) to get the quote feature then it has no Weight, Brand, SKU, other images, zoom, custom search, save product, send a link, previous/next links (don't know if reward points or cross sell displays) because PC figures that's been displayed on viewPrd.asp with a "Customize" link if it's BTO.

I get the same naked display as http://www.earlyimpact.com/productcart/build_to_order/productcart/pc/configurePrd.asp?idProduct=412. (congrats to EI for making the BTO demo V3.5) That link also shows how little is displayed for a totally customizable product vs a BTO with Standard Features.

Since this is to be a quote only system I'm in a hard place between dumping all products to configurePrd.asp with very limited display vs making every product BTO. I don't like either choice, but until quoting is offered for both standard and BTO products I don't see a third way.

Then there's the issue of how to turn a quote into an order in the CP. A customer that's logged on can do it, seems like the admins should have equal capability.

I just thought of another possible approach. I'm going to try custom adding a link to viewPrd.asp called "Request a Quote" that will dump to configurePrd.asp. If that works it would mean no additional display needed in configurePrd.asp and end customers can still request a quote. We'll also make sure that there's no BTO products that are
completely customized with no default items.

Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2008 at 10:58am
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you have the coding skills to do so, why not just query the product for the values needed to add the product image and whatever else is desired for this page?

cmason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2008 at 1:12pm
I did something similar in V2.76 (added addt'l display info to configurePrd.asp and added "Request A Quote" to standard products) but after going through the pain of upgrading a heavily customized V2.76 to V3.12 I'm trying to keep it as clean of customizations as possible in the move to V3.5. Plus, this issue of allowing quotes for all types of products is something I've repeatedly requested, and have noticed others requesting, for years.

I'm also wondering why standard products on the site link you supplied have very little info? http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/Keyboard-mouse-and-speakers-17p70.htm

I just noticed something interesting. If I take http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=461 and change it to http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=461, I like that full display of info much better. I'm assuming sku, save a link, etc, etc are turned off by design?

Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2008 at 2:47pm
I don't know anything about the site as I didn't build it, but we are building a site that sells computers and have been looking at other PC stores as reference.

I hear you about trying to avoid massive alterations to the base code, but OTOH, sometimes you just have to make a few edits here and there.  However, if you place the code for such an additional query, and perhaps even the display functionality into a external script (mycustomfunctions.asp) and reference that as an include and sub/function calls, you can minimize the physical impact on the base code.  Makes it easier to identify the updates for future upgrades.
cmason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2008 at 3:07pm
I understand what you're saying about referencing external pages and that's probably what should have been done with viewPrd.asp. Do configurePrd.asp as an include, not an entirely separate page.

On the issue of includes ... in viewCategories.asp there's already 24 included pages (there may be more that are includes of includes). I see 27 for viewPrd.asp (not counting css and I don't remember that including the spry js and css files and I'm probably missing some more includes with includes. Plus PC has different category and product displays depending on display settings, custom search etc. so you'd probably have to customize multiple includes.

Regarding that other site, it looks like a V2.76 site to me - which was easier to customize. I think the new features in V3.12 and V3.5 are very nice BUT they do add layers of complexity. Plus, once I saw a similar tabbed approach being used in the CP, I had expectations it would be used in the product pages. I may be in dumb bunny mode but I don't see any way to customize a tabbed section within either of the product pages w/o embedding customizations.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic