ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Show Fields Anywhere

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpDataInc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Show Fields Anywhere
    Posted: 23-August-2010 at 6:33pm
How do you pull out a price and show it on any page? Say I have the ID number and want to show "Price List" and "Online Price"? How would one go about and do this with ProductCart? Plus, the long and short descriptions, how can I display what I want when I want? Is there a link to help on these topics? In short I guess, how can I specify what field I want and show it anywhere I want?

Thanks
SDI
Sharp Data Incorporated
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2010 at 6:53pm
Hi,
  Do you mean on a page outside of ProductCart, such as a Blog etc? If so then see : http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/widgets/productcart_ecommerce_widget

If you mean within the ProductCart pages themselves, then there is a lot of flexibility built in  (see the wiki for full details).

ProductCart allows you to use your own design, in fact it's specifically designed around supporting custom designs. It's also very easy to amend the "static" text on a site and styling can be managed via CSS.

There are quite a few layouts to choose from, which meet the needs of the vast majority of stores, but beyond all of those you are free, if you wish, to modify the ASP code, although you are then responsible for supporting your own modifications through future upgrades.

SharpDataInc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpDataInc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2010 at 11:17pm
Thanks for the feedback. Actually, its on the website. I am editing a site and changing over pages of hard-code prices and descriptions to the related database record. I cant find in wiki where you can get any field you want, what the fields are, or even what html to use to get and display the records. This client would have a page that grabs the image, long desc and list price from the database. Then user would click "add to cart" and it would show short desc and different online price from that ID of the added record in the show cart page.

That widget is pretty cool though. Nice idea!

Can you point me in the right direction if this can be done?

Thanks
SDI
Sharp Data Incorporated
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2010 at 11:27pm
I'm not sure if there is documentation of the tables.  Absent that, step 1 is to open your database and examine the table named products.  That will allow you to become familiar with the field names. 

Then you would want to establish a query in your page to retrieve the product record and set the variables to be displayed on the page.  A good place to start is to dig into viewPrd.asp, viewPrdL.asp and viewPrdCode.asp to understand how the cart handles this task.

Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2010 at 5:53pm
Hi SDI,
    I think your planned approach sounds like hard work! Add a category and a few products to it and try the different layout options to see if there is one that is close enough to what you want. Showing info about the products after the customer has clicked "add to cart" is a bit late anyway :-)

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpDataInc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2010 at 10:49pm
There are two pages used here. One page shows the product with the online price and short description. There is a button for details, which the user clicks and sees the different options for the product (ie, small, med, large), full detail and their Online Prices. the user selects the option and "adds to cart" then the cart shows a lower price - list price. A web designer created the whole store front w/o any asp to it - detail/add2cart button page (hard coded it). I am redesigning after the add to cart asp page, right now. That page that uses the view cart, and my own header/footer. That works fine with showing the list price, I just wanted to show the descriptions and online prices out of the database on the other pages - I will have to redesign them later. It would be cool if you could send an script with an ID and get back the different values. I don't see any help on that either, though.

I just wish there was documentation, like the "add to cart" from anywhere docs.

Thanks for the time
SDI
Sharp Data Incorporated
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpDataInc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 8:30am
mmmm, well I took a look at some of the sample sights using ProductCart and it seems they have hard coded prices in their web pages. Once you click "add to cart" and view it, the page shows the product added and the price from the database. But if you are not in the cart yet and on a html/php/asp page the pages that shows the details they have the hard coded prices on them. From the sites I saw, this is not logical for updating the prices/descriptions or what ever you edit with the ProductCart interface. Is this not possible to do with ProducCart? Show any field from any table, anywhere on any page? A developer never wants to hard code the values and if the client changes it in the database, the developer needs to redo a whole page(s) and upload it. Instead it should be read across any page anywhere and never touched by a developer. It seems ProductCart can do this, I jsut dont see anyone doing it or any samples on doing it. Has anyone done this? Dynamic images/descriptions/prices, etc..

Thanks for any info you can provide.
SDI
Sharp Data Incorporated

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 9:54am
<<<mmmm, well I took a look at some of the sample sights using ProductCart and it seems they have hard coded prices in their web pages. Once you click "add to cart" and view it, the page shows the product added and the price from the database. But if you are not in the cart yet and on a html/php/asp page the pages that shows the details they have the hard coded prices on them. From the sites I saw, this is not logical for updating the prices/descriptions or what ever you edit with the ProductCart interface>>>

Would it be possible for you to post links to these sample sites you refer to?  It's just not possible to help without seeing what you are looking at.

<<<A developer never wants to hard code the values and if the client changes it in the database, the developer needs to redo a whole page(s) and upload it. Instead it should be read across any page anywhere and never touched by a developer. It seems ProductCart can do this, I jsut dont see anyone doing it or any samples on doing it. Has anyone done this? Dynamic images/descriptions/prices, etc.. >>>

That is why Hamish stated what he did.  How about showing us the old site as well so that we have in context just what you are trying to do.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpDataInc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 10:09am
First PC example - http://www.webtappeti.it/productcart/pc/Home-WebTappeti.asp
The prices/images/descriptions are all hard coded, not optimal. My client has something similar to this website. Shows the product, image/description/ListPrice, then you can click add to cart and its in the cart with the OnlinePrice showing in the cart ASP.

Thanks for the assistance
SDI
Sharp Data Incorporated

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 10:18am
I will grant you that this site demonstrates the procedure that you point out.  However, the Home-WebTappeti.asp page is a custom page, not part of ProductCart.  The prices you refer to are placed in images, presumably to suit the esthetics of the designer or site owner. And yes, as you propose, maintenance would be a bear.  But this was a choice that they made and not reflective of ProductCart functionality.

Once one reaches a product page such as this, further explanation can clarify the behavior:

PC has price-sensitive attribute.  The base product in this case is set to 0, and the attributes themselves are priced.  Only when you select a size from the dropdown does the price appear.  I'll also point out that the layout of this page, and I'm pretty certain the manner in which the prices in the dropdown are displayed, is totaly custom.  It's all nice, and far from stock presentation.

So, with all that said, may we see the site you are migrating FROM (and perhaps the new design) so we understand the context of your original questions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic