ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Show Fields Anywhere

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpDataInc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 10:41am
Great now you can see what I am after!

This is the ORIGINAL site (no PC) - here

The new site looks similar and uses PC. The designer didn't integrate with PC at all, but you can see this page can have PC easily embedded into it. It shows a desc/price/image, the first on works on "details" - you click it and it goes to the cart and this is hard coded too (can have PC embeded as well). Once you add it, I coded it to use PC and pull the price. Once at the checkout you can see the price difference. BTW - SKU is hard coded as well, this again is very bad design.
New page - here

Greg, thank!
SDI
Sharp Data Incorporated
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 11:35am
I would probably approach this differently than you are.  There is an easier path to your goal.

Apparently one of your challenges is that your designer created the site design outside of the context of knowing ProductCart so that they could take advantage of something close to the stock layout characteristics of the application.

I also question mixing PHP pages with ASP pages in the same application.  Among other issues, you exclude from the site any potential of grabbing the cart totals for display in the header.  Perhaps there are other reasons why you want PHP, other than perhaps greater familiarity with that language.  But if that is the only hurdle, it's probable that a pure ASP solution could be crafted here.

Seeing where you are going, creating all of these static pages with hard-coded references to all of the product data is going to create a nightmare - both for initial creation as well as ongoing maintenance.  Let me show you a different approach.

Compare, for a moment, these pages:
http://www.cpapplus.com/miscellaneous/care-pad.php

Consistent to both of these pages is that there are two product sizes listed, available for purchase.  Distinction is that you hard-coded your page, and SystemThree is using a stock PC page.  Big difference is that your description is below, ours is above, but that's just a code placement issue.

PC supports a variety of category display formats that are switch-selectable.  In the case of SystemThree, we manipulated the format M (multiple add to cart) layout into what I show above. 

Now look at this page to understand what the page looked like before we started:
http://www.earlyimpact.com/demos/standard/pc/Jewelry-c10.htm

I think you might be able to imagine that the care-pad.php page could become a category page, and that the format you are showing on that page could be closely achieved, while maintaining stock functionality and not having to go the route of beating your head against the wall with all of these static pages.

Does this help you understand that there is an option beyond your current approach that would have a much easier future maintenance life?

Edited by Greg Dinger - 26-August-2010 at 12:12pm
SharpDataInc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpDataInc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 12:15pm
Greg,

Thanks for the input and I see your point. My client already paid a designer to do the site pages and the CSS. I cant go about and change all the layouts, unfortunately, unless I can convince my client. My job entails me to get PC involved in the products listings on the new page designs. Those websites you showed both have hard coded information. I needed to have those pulled from the database. These examples have the description/sku and price being hard coded. Can pulling that data on that page be done with PC?

Thanks again
SDI
Sharp Data Incorporated
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpDataInc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 12:22pm
BTW - the pages are only using PHP, due to using one files for the header/menu/footer, etc on all pages (100 or so). With includes pointing to a couple html files, lot easier to maintain than 100 pages when something changes. This is another reason why I want to use the PC DB for the product information on other pages, obviously easier to maintain. Now I can go the ASP route if thats what PC requires...
Sharp Data Incorporated
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 12:38pm
Hi SDI
Prices are never hardcoded on ProductCart pages, nor is description or anything else specific to a Product or Category.
Trying to build a website to fit exactly to a design by a designer who has no knowledge of ProductCart is, as Greg has pointed out, a recipe for lots of pain and expense, both now and in the future - this would be true of any e-commerce application. In fact, ProductCart offers more flexibility than most.
I think you need to have a conversation with your client to make this clear to them.

An analogy would be designing a car without taking into account the engineering side, like engines wheels etc. Yes, you can design a very pretty vehicle, but then doing the engineering to fit within the enforced limitations of the sketches means you will end up with an impractical, very hard to maintain and overly expesive vehicle.
Working in collaboration with the designer, so that they are aware of the options available, means you can keep the stock functionality, along with the lower costs and easier maintenance that results in.
You can still change the CSS (and keep your designers CSS) buttons etc and select from many layout options etc as well as wrapping a very stylish header and footer around the pages. The flexibility is huge - just look at the sites here : http://www.earlyimpact.com/stores.asp .       

Looking at http://www.cpapplus.com/aed/aed.php the centre of the page looks to me like a fairly standard ProductCart layout (all dynamically created -or would be by ProductCart) and the category menu could equally be standard ProductCart.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 12:43pm
The systemthree site is using native PC code, albeit somewhat rearranged.  The content on that site, at least in terms of the product category page I showed you, is dynamic.  It is not static.

And what I am saying is that a knowledgable PC developer can likely replicate something in the area of 90% or greater of what you show on http://www.cpapplus.com/miscellaneous/care-pad.php within PC alone, albeit with modifications as stated above.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to sell a job to you.  We have plenty of work on our plate at the moment. I'm just trying to point out that from the perspective of many years experience working with different e-commerce sites and platforms, and having seen sites where all of the product data was being incorporated into static pages such as you are, you are creating a monster that will be difficult to tame.  With that said, were I to do precisely what you are doing in terms of all these static pages, the part of this approach I would change is to change to .ASP, and use some functionality such as I mentioned early in this thread.  I'd have variable on the page that would represent category or product ID values, and that those values would be used to pull data from the PC database. (You could do the same thing in PHP as that appears to be the environment you are most comfortable.)  At least that way if the product data is changed in the future those changes will be reflected on the pages dynamically.  This is not the option I would choose, but it is an option.

The bottom line is that now that I have shown you an alternative approach that would make your site fully dynamic, I'd be very seriously discussing a new direction with your client as the lifetime maintenance headaches you are creating with the current approach will easily outweigh the short term cost impact associated with implementing a better solution today.

I'm just trying to help and have no vested interest in this - but since you don't know PC I hope all of this gives you a deeper insight as to possibilities.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 12:53pm
ProductCart uses an included header/footer as well.  By choosing PHP, you are likely doubling the header/footer pairs that must be maintained in your store - one for the PHP pages and the stock pair for the store. As such, if you changed to .ASP pages then you could use the included header/footer from the store for all pages.

You are making your project so much harder on yourself and your client than is necessary.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpDataInc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 12:53pm
I agree completely with you and Hamish. I am learning PC as we move along here, I just wanted to know if it was possible to pull the info out of the PC database for those pages that have hard coded values. If ASP is the way to do that instead of PHP. From what I've seen with PC it is pretty powerful and has lots of flexibility, I just couldn't find out if it could do what I ask for now.

Thanks
SDI
Sharp Data Incorporated
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpDataInc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 6:24pm
So if I go the ASP route with this instead of PHP, and go through the store front in PC, the prices/descriptions, images, etc are all through the DB right? I believe PC has layouts available to setup different styles of the store front. The store front can use the new CSS from the designer and still use the DB as its products? My client has the BTO system of PC. I want minimize the work ahead of maintainace to the website. So, if its possible to use the header/footer.asp that I created for the viewCart, the same can be used for the store front. I think I am on the right track here as far as how I want this to go with PC, I just want to make sure the look and feel is what my client is after, or looks similar to the new style layout.

Thanks for the help fellas
SDI
Sharp Data Incorporated

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 6:36pm
The basic answer to all of your questions is yes.  The extended answer is that to pull off what we did with SystemThree.com, where we accomplished a page layout that is very close to your proposed layout, takes understanding of ProductCart and ASP. 

If you build the store as I am suggesting you will replace the significant effort of messing with all those static pages with an effort to knock the category page layout into shape.  It's not an easy task, and it's going to take some hours for even someone skilled with PC and ASP, but the payback is that when finished you have a totally dynamic store.

So - do you any ASP coding at all?  Or does this sound like something you want to push to a developer who has the above skills, knowing that when it's done you don't have to deal with all those static pages, and with the proper category + product data prepared in the  database that basic goal will have been achieved?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic