ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Show Fields Anywhere

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpDataInc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 6:50pm
I know ASP.NET, VB.NET, C#.NET, WPF, and MS Expression. This isn't much different. What happened here is the client paid someone to redo the website in HTML, 2 years later it was done. Two years because nothing was set for includes or anything like that to make it easier to maintain. Designer didn't know ASP or PC, so I took over and things were a mess to start. Too much hard coding, store front was done wrong, misspellings, menus didn't work in the headers, just a plain mess. So instead of going through each file I created PHPs for the headers/footers, etc, so all the HTMLs needed to be converted. Then PC came into the picture for me, because I started researching it. So I did the ViewCart.asp with my custom header/footer.asp, and it worked great. I did a couple product pages and it was stupid to hard code the prices, etc. and I wanted an easier way. I didn't know if PC could do it. But in reality I need to use PC store front instead of all the static HTML pages, still keeping the new CSS. Issue is with GoDaddy host, on a Windows server, keeping them ranked at the top. Using .htacess cost money w/ GoDaddy $50! Ha. So maybe I leave the index.html as is and point to all the ASP pages. Redirects are a b##, but doable.

Thanks for all the guidance, first time using PC and I dig it. If this project was from scratch, it would be a lot easier!

SDI
Sharp Data Incorporated
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 7:11pm
Don't get me started on Godaddy.  Please search the forum for the various rants from Mark, myself and others about how badly Godaddy bites.

As for .htaccess, my servers and those of selected developers around here are equipped with www.helicontech.com ISAPI_Rewrite 3, and that is a feature of our standard hosting plans.  You can build all the rewrite rules you can think of.

Give me a shout if you want to discuss all of this.
SharpDataInc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpDataInc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 7:23pm
Thats a solid link. Though GoDaddy wanted $50 for the install of the rewrite 3 full version. Huh! Well there is a saying - "Friends don't let friends host on GoDaddy!" Not a fan either, but I like the commercials, and some of my clients host on them, so unfortunately we are stuck with them!

Greg, thanks for all the help. I will definitely let you know when an ASP page up and maybe you can take a peak. Start to finish, store front to cart. Always up for suggestions, I leave the blinders on when talking to the wife!

SDI
Sharp Data Incorporated
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 7:32pm
Hi SDI,
  I just wanted to make sure you have seen & read the WIKI page re integrating ProductCart with your own design : http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/storefront-integrate

Hamish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 7:35pm
<<< will definitely let you know when an ASP page up >>>

I still think that we may be talking past each other.  You do not need to make custom ASP pages.  You want to do this with strategic changes to viewcategories.asp.
SharpDataInc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharpDataInc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 7:44pm
Whoa, yeah your right we are. I just looked into what is in the product cart PC folder. The home.asp, viewcategories.asp, are what I want to use. They already point to my custom header/footer.asp. Sheesh, I really didnt see this as being that simple, but it is. All the store front files are right there. I need to dig into that deeper.

Hamish, yeah I read that and got the viewcart.asp to work with the h/f.asp. Now I see it can be used with everything derived off the database. With some tweaking to some of these files in PC, this should be a pretty smooth transition.

Thanks
SDI
Sharp Data Incorporated

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2010 at 7:53pm
Simple, but not so much.  It took several hours to make the systemthree.com instance of viewcategories.asp do what it does today.  That's with us knowing flat out how the whole thing ties together.  It was fairly tricky.  Step carefully, but now I think I finally have reached you.  No custom pages - just custom alterations of stock code.
ITistic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ITistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2010 at 4:22pm
.. and to add to what everyone else has said: document, document, and document your customizations. You can never document too much and they'll prove invaluable when you have to upgrade in the future :).
Shawn Berg
Owner / Project Manager
(877) iTISTIC / (877) 484-7842
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2010 at 4:57pm
I must be confused. You want to show every field on every page whenever you want, and you think this should be built in? Good luck ;)

Honestly though, you could just write a script that takes a product I'D and field name and pulls those values from the database and returns them via a function.

This is what I would recommend. For the record, I don't think ANY ecommerce software let's you just pull database values whenever you want and insert them to any page you want.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic