ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ISAPI Rewrite

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackalope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ISAPI Rewrite
    Posted: 27-September-2007 at 12:53pm
I'm considering adding the ISAPI Rewrite program to our site and was looking to get feedback on it's usefulness when combined with PC. I want our site to be as search engine friendly as possible and this seems be the easiest way. Thanks in advance for you feedback.
Stuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2007 at 1:14pm

The SEO Mods for ProductCart (making all URL's static) seem to have made a significant improvement in our sites ranking! Our site ranks in the top 1-5 on Google for every important keyword phrase in our industry, so we are happy campers!

I can't give you any hardcore data as to exactly how beneficial this was, but no doubt it was a benefit to our seo rankings.

I also fealt that the PC SEO update was a rather painless process for the most part.

Edited by Stuck - 27-September-2007 at 1:15pm
Jackalope View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackalope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2007 at 1:58pm

Stuck,

So you are very happy about implimenting ISAPI Rewrite into your site? That is good to hear. How long did it take you to impliment it into PC?

Thanks again.

Stuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2007 at 2:25pm

I don't remember exactly, however, I would say that I was able to update two of our sites with ProductCarts SEO Mod & was back up & running in less than two hours total (uploading files, fixing whatever screwups I made, etc.)

Like I say, it was quite painless overall. Here is the information & files needed:

Uploaded files compatible with ProductCart v3.1

ProductCart v3.1: 2007-09-09_154357_pcSEO_v3.1_090907.zip (09.09.07)

Jackalope View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackalope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2007 at 2:38pm

Stuck,

Thanks for that link. I'm out of the office at the moment but will give it a try when I return.

Thanks again for you help. I appreciate it.

Stuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2007 at 2:52pm

No problem, glad to help when i can Jackalope.

Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2007 at 3:19pm

I am also interested in knowing if anyone has gone down the path of implementing ISAPI rewrite.

Regardless of the mod that EI has developed, I'm curious about what strategies are working or otherwise.

whizzinpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizzinpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2007 at 3:11pm

We are using isapi rewrite for all our category urls... the products remained asp.... Weve been using it for a few years now with no problems...

Here is what one of the isapi rules looks like

RewriteRule /business_card_holders\.html /productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp\?idcategory=7

slinc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2007 at 7:27pm

We have done an extensive modification to Product Cart to give us nice clean URL's using Helicon Tech ISAPI Rewrite.  We completely rewrite our Category, Product and Content pages.  I know hardly nothing about ISAPI Rewrite but Helicon's support is very good and they will basically write the needed code for you.  It is then up to you to modify Product Cart to read the new URL's.   We simply created a function that converted the new URL's to something Product Cart could read.  Then created another function to rewrite the URL's links shown by Product Cart. 

This makes it very search engine friendly.  Also makes it easy to later move to another technology like .net since our URL's are technology independent.

This would be a very good, and fairly easy, add-on for Product Cart to make as part of their base system.  Much more flexible than outputing static HTML pages.  The performance is great.

Example URL's we use:::

www.domain.com/category/categoryname
www.domain.com/product/productname
www.domain.com/home/contentpage

When we add a Product, Category or Content page we give it a unique name (custom field we created) so that it can be used in the URL.  Great flexibility.

Hope this helps.

Lomito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2008 at 7:29pm
Hi Slinc,

Sounds like a beautiful solution.

But should we re-invent the wheel? :-)

Or would you be interested in selling/licensing the functions you developed along with some instructions?

Thank you.

L
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic