ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brand Names & SEO URL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
smithjames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand Names & SEO URL
    Posted: 16-April-2019 at 3:02am
Hi!
 I am new in  this forum. i am very glad to join that thread. Thanks for sharing that thread with us..

GreggS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2014 at 11:57am
We just updated our site to V5, and we are working though all the issues that pop up.  One of which is the SEO URL links.

Some products on our site have very long winded names like the one below

http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/Ascaso-Brass-Boiler-Heating-Element-220V-Dream-Arc-Elipse-Steel-Non-Professional-with-brass-boilers-330p1784.htm

On V4.7 I figured out the most important part was the code on the end so I could shorten it to

http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/330p1784.htm

or didn't even matter what was before the code just so long as that code was intact.

http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/TheSkyisBlue-330p1784.htm

Now on V5 for any links to work, the link MUST be word-for-word as the name of the product otherwise the link won't work.  After going through all the links on the website, I realized there must be some people have posted links in forums that are now broken.

Is it possible to fix this back to the old way?
GreggS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2013 at 11:34am
I found another issue which is a little similar to another post I had earlier in this thread.

We are starting to build a tech support section.  It's going to be broken down by brand and there will be a section for General Tech Support.  In the General Tech Support section, we have a whole bunch of pages configured under there already.  Our default subpage display is 5 rows 3 per row which is 15 total.  If you try to go to page 2, it takes me here which is page 2 of the viewpages.asp page.  Not very good with code, but I'm assuming the code to display page numbers is the same across all content pages.  Is there a fix for this?
GreggS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2013 at 11:25am
I checked today and now the "category" brand page now shows 3rd.  Alot better than the "showsearchresults" brand page.
GreggS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2013 at 1:13pm
I just checked today and now the "showsearchresults" brand page for Ascaso has popped back on the 1st page on google at #10 so I'm guessing it does rank but not as good as an actual page.  I just re-redirected the old index.htm page to our new "category" brand page so we'll see how that works.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2013 at 1:12pm
Hi Gregg,

This does seem to cause confusion with folks -- that brand "pages" are actually just search result pages (showsearchresults.asp?IDBrand=1 is all that is needed). It would be nice to have actual brand pages (complete with customizable meta title and description fields and a field for description/copy content).

To answer your question:
I'm starting to build a category for brands and going to re-redirect the old index pages.  I have a couple concerns.  In the control panel you put the old page you want to redirect, the new page you want to redirect to and there's a option that says " A permanent redirection for this resource."  If I delete the redirect will the old page show up or are they now permanently redirected?

No. A "permanent redirect" is a 301 redirect -- but a redirect nonetheless. So, if you delete it, either the old page will resolve again, or a 404 status will occur.
GreggS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2013 at 11:52am
We are in the process now of redirecting our old pages to our new pages.  I saw this page on the wiki on how to redirect the home page using code but that was just the home page.  My boss gave me access to the web host control panel which allows me to redirect page by page.  Our old site was built mainly around brands.  So I've been redirecting our old pages which are mainly index.htm pages to the brands "pages" on our new site. One of the first things I discovered with ProductCart is that anything under the view brands page are not actually pages but search results.  I figured pointing to there would be fine, but after a few days some of our old index pages that ranked well on google now fell off.

Example: if you search "Ascaso" in google, our old index page ranked 2nd.  Now that page is gone.  (There currently is a sub index page for "grinders" there but that might disappear shortly too)

I'm assuming that a showsearchresults.asp like this

http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/showsearchresults.asp?idcategory=84&priceFrom=0&priceUntil=999999999&sku=&IDBrand=1&keyWord=&customfield=0&IDSale=0&resultCnt=15&order=2&Submit.x=46&Submit.y=9

or even something shorter like

http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/showsearchresults.asp?idcategory=84&IDBrand=1

is not an actual page that google will rank.

I'm starting to build a category for brands and going to re-redirect the old index pages.  I have a couple concerns.  In the control panel you put the old page you want to redirect, the new page you want to redirect to and there's a option that says " A permanent redirection for this resource."  If I delete the redirect will the old page show up or are they now permanently redirected?

Edited by GreggS - 15-February-2013 at 12:17pm
gerryreid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerryreid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2012 at 9:33pm
I Think that all worth configuring, but it would be more prospective when you categorize every brand pages. 
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2012 at 1:30am
I should that in
iPageSize=6
the number "6" here is completely arbitrary and just a fail-safe as EI wrote the code. The revisions here shouldn't ever have to lean on this, but as it is a hard-coded value, one could change the 6 here to whatever they want to be the setting of "last resort" as it were.

Edited by Sean@WMS - 04-April-2012 at 1:36am
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2012 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by GreggS GreggS wrote:

I just noticed something while testing our site.  Our current setting for displaying products is

• 5 rows 3 columns (15 products at a time)
  • high price listed first

When browsing products by brand that has more than 1 page, the first page shows up ok, but when i click on the 2nd page it switches to low price.

This doesn't happen when browsing products by the categories we set up.  Everything works fine there.

Yep, there's a bug in here. To fix this, open /pc/inc_srcPrdQuery.asp and near the top find:
strORD=getUserInput(request("order"),4)
if NOT validNum(strORD) or trim(strORD)="" then
strORD=3
end if

change that to:
strORD=getUserInput(request("order"),4)
strORD=strPrdOrd
end if
strORD=3
end if

While looking into this and something else, I stumbled upon another similar bug in here.

Say you make a link to a brand using only its brand ID (showsearchresults.asp?IDBrand=1). The links on the paginated page navigation will now ignore default settings for the number of items to show on the page and be set to 6 items per page.

To fix this, in the same file at almost the very top, find:

if (iPageSize="") then
iPageSize=6
end if
if (not IsNumeric(iPageSize)) then
iPageSize=6
end if

and change it to:
if (iPageSize="") OR (not IsNumeric(iPageSize)) then
iPageSize=(scPrdRow*scPrdRowsPerPage)
end if
if (not IsNumeric(iPageSize)) then