ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trouble with Keyword-Rich SEO URL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trouble with Keyword-Rich SEO URL
    Posted: 18-July-2012 at 5:16pm
I've been trying to put in Keyword-Rich SEO URLS in our site www.tribestlife.com for 2 days now.
The WIKI has been very helpful but I just cannot get it to work after following the instructions.

Keyword-rich URL setting is turned-on in ProductCart setting.
File Name for 'Page Not Found' file is typed-in, "404-TBL.html"
The server's custom error page is pointing to 404.asp page, but I cannot seem to get keyword-rich seo urls to work.

When I type a non-existent page into url, it returns 500 page.

Just a little background, we've upgraded to PC v4.5 earlier in the year.

Would anybody be able to help me out here?

Edited by adamoh - 18-July-2012 at 5:17pm
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2012 at 5:59pm
Hi Adam,

Is the only problem that the true "page does not exist" URLs are throwing the 500 error? That might well be because you need to set the path to the "Page Not Found" page from the web root on down. So, if you have 404-TBL.html in your web root, you would enter /404-TBL.html into that field.

If your product and category URLs are not being rewritten and/or are not resolving, then there's something else wrong, but from what you describe I can't guess what that might be.
adamoh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2012 at 8:45pm
Ohh, Ok. Thanks, Sean.
Yes, the "Physical Path" was the problem. I entered the right Physical Path and the "Page Not Found" page is working as intended.

As for SEO URL, I "Generating Category Navigation" gave me the right SEO URLs.

Thank you,

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2012 at 9:09pm
Glad that's all it was Wink
rmeinhart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmeinhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2013 at 9:20am
Having a similar problem. Running IIS7 and modified the 404 error code to point to /productcart/pc/404.asp. This works for categories, but I get a 500 error when I click on a product.
Bob Meinhart
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2013 at 10:12am
More information is needed Bob.  The 404 stuff works fine when properly configured, so we need to know each detail of how you configured it.  how about a link to start with?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2013 at 7:03pm
 ... and while replying to Greg's request above, if you could provide the actual details of the 500.100 error, that would be very enlightening.

If your product pages are throwing a 500.100 error, it's not because of this feature, but because of something else going on in your product pages (esp. considering category pages are working, and I'd expect content pages are too).
ammonihah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammonihah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2013 at 4:56pm
Ray over at ElectricStep.com and myself at DisasterStuff.com have been working on SEO using SEOMOZ to analyze our sites.  We just learned something pretty interesting and I thought I would pass it along.

Here is the scenario.

I add a water filter "A" to my cart.
I add a water filter "B" to my cart.
I set up a cross sell relationship so that "B" shows up on "A" product page.
Works great.
Now I run out of "B" filters, so I go in and make the product inactive because I may not carry it anymore.

Somehow, Google is still seeing the link for product B because the relationship still exists, and when you click on product "B" it lets you try to buy it even though it is marked inactive in the control panel.  But then you get a message that says something like "sorry you loser, this product doesn't exist" something to that effect.

We were getting dinged by Google for this in a pretty major way.

It would be really cool if ProductCart had a "remove all inactive products from relationships" script or automatically removed relationships when a product is marked as inactive.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

ammonihah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammonihah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2013 at 4:57pm
Can someone delete my last post.  Put it in the wrong place.

Sorry.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic