ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

18000 Products, Slow KW Searching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njessen42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 18000 Products, Slow KW Searching
    Posted: 02-May-2008 at 6:55pm
We are building a store with PC that has around 18,000 items. When we do generic KW searches it is really slow. For example we sell beads and jewelry findings and a search for bead or crystal sometimes times out.  Is there a way to optimize cart searches? We are using a SQL database and our server is also pretty hefty hardware wise. This is happening when only one person is on the site at a time, not even multiple people.

Any thoughts?
geoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2008 at 10:06pm
Yes - I completely agree with the observation. KW searching through the product database once it reaches >2000+ products is really weak compared to alternative indexed searches. I presume the search is proportional to content. So it does not scale well. Hopefully Early Impact will comment on this.

I instead switched to using an add-in site search utility - currently Google custom search.
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2008 at 10:47pm

Hi Guys,

We have added two additional features that will be available in the next update.
- Show Top Search Results
- AJAX Loading Window while search is searching

The “Top” feature has been shown to drastically reduce search times.  While the AJAX Window lets the customers know something is working.  The features will be optional and they can be turned on or off.

Since you have 18,000 products and are currently experiencing problems you may open a ticket and obtain a pre-release of the "new search files".

Uniforms guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uniforms guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2008 at 3:19am
Hello njessen42,
Is 18,000 included sub-products?
Thank you,
uniforms guy
njessen42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njessen42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 11:45am
There are no sub-products. There are 18,000 individual items for sale.

Thanks for the info above. Does the Google custom search work pretty well? 
geoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 8:03pm
It works well for my data of 5000 products and 15MByte database. It takes a little configuration - like everything but once set up you can forget it.
njessen42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njessen42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2008 at 1:34pm
Matt thanks for the suggestion. We sent a help ticket to Early Impact, they sent us the new patch and our search runs fantastic. With 18,000 beads and findings, a generic search for just "Bead" worked in under 4 seconds, before it would time out and that was with a SQL database and some major hardware. Thanks again. When we get the site up on July 1st, I will post the link for everyone to see. Product Cart rocks!!
nathan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 9:34pm
I applied the patch today and it cut my kw search from 50 to 25 sec... Big improvement, but still needs work... We have over 9,000 SKU's with extremely long descriptions. Is it possible to only do a kw search on titles? I believe pc searches descriptions and this is most likely our problem.
nathan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Hi Guys,

We have added two additional features that will be available in the next update.
- Show Top Search Results
- AJAX Loading Window while search is searching

The “Top” feature has been shown to drastically reduce search times.  While the AJAX Window lets the customers know something is working.  The features will be optional and they can be turned on or off.

Since you have 18,000 products and are currently experiencing problems you may open a ticket and obtain a pre-release of the "new search files".

Is the AJAX Loading Window suppose to kick in from smallsearchbox queries also?
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 11:47pm
Hi Nathan,
     Take a look at : www.earlyimpact.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1621&PN=1

njessen42 & I have been discussing how to drop the details field from the search.
Of course this was against the EXISTING version of the search - not the patched version, so tread carefully!  

Can you provide a link to your site?

Edited by Hamish - 02-June-2008 at 11:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic