ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Add product data to Google Analytics tracking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
whizzinpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizzinpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Add product data to Google Analytics tracking
    Posted: 03-March-2014 at 12:12am
Thanks for sharing Brett. This is very useful.
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2014 at 12:33am
Whoops! Thanks for the heads up on GA account. I'll get in touch with you regarding coupons page. We love it, and probably 80% of our customers use the coupons. Though maybe they'd still buy and not use coupons if we didn't have them, who knows lol.

Discount codes before checkout is something we've been wanting for a long time. I will definitely ask you about this (hopefully) tomorrow.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2014 at 12:49am
Thanks, Brett. I think I could see how that could be valuable data perhaps vis a vis targeting ads. Excellent first step in the project. If you don't have the data, you can't mine it, right? I'd like to think more about it.

Meanwhile, a couple of observations:
1) You might want to remove your Google account id from the code above (using the edit post option). Probably no harm in having your domain in there too, but I'll leave that up to you.
2) Having seen that in your posted code I peeped your site to see if I could quickly glean how this data might be interesting for you .... and I noticed your coupons page. I've been giving a lot of thought in the back of my busy mind about how to leverage exactly such a page for social media and other marketing angles. Incidentally, you might find that our Discount Codes before Checkout extension would play perfectly with your objective here.
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2014 at 11:06pm
I'm not sure how to do this in Analytics yet, but I want to be able to tell where sales for certain products are coming from, as far as keywords, referring sites, and what pages they went through to get to the product.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2014 at 11:04pm
Nice work, Brett!

Very gracious of you to share this.

I'm curious what insights you plan to glean from this data, though. Mind sharing that side of it?
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2014 at 7:31pm
This may be included in a recent update, as we're still on 4.2b. On orderCompleteTracking.asp, you can find this comment:

' Advanced users: you use any of the following variables in your tracking code:
          ' pOID: This variable holds the order number from the ProductCart database
          ' pOrderNumber: The order number shown to customer
          ' ptotal: The order total amount
          ' pOrderStatus: An integer representing the status of the order

We already had some order data being tracked in GA (Google Analytics), but it was basically just the Order ID and total price. However, wanted to take full advantage of GA's tracking functions, and track tax, shipping charges, geographical data, and product information. This actually turned out to be easier than I expected. We modified our orderCompleteTracking like so:

<script type="text/javascript">
            var _gaq = _gaq || [];
            _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-9999999-1']);
            _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);
            _gaq.push(['_addTrans',
               '<%=pOrderNumber%>',           // order ID - required
               'Liftchair.com', // affiliation or store name
               '<%=ptotal%>',          // total - required
               '<%=ptaxAmount%>',           // tax
               '<%=Postage%>',              // shipping
               '<%=pcity%>',       // city
               '<%=pstate%>',     // state or province
               '<%=pcountryCode%>'             // country
            ]);
            <% for each orderProduct in orderProducts %>
             _gaq.push(['_addItem',
                '<%=pOrderNumber%>',        // transaction ID - necessary to associate item with transaction
                '<%=orderProduct.item("sku")%>',        // SKU/code - required
                '<%=orderProduct.item("name")%>',      // product name - necessary to associate revenue with product
                '<%=orderProduct.item("category")%>', // category or variation
                '<%=orderProduct.item("price")%>',        // unit price - required
                '<%=orderProduct.item("quantity")%>'             // quantity - required
             ]);     
             <% next %>       

_gaq.push(['_trackTrans']); //submits transaction to the Analytics servers

All of the new information for the _addTrans was already on the orderComplete.asp page, so it was just a matter of finding the variables (this may not work for countries that use VAT instead of Tax).

For the product information, I had to make a couple changes to orderComplete.asp:

At the beginning of the file I defined a new array to hold ordered product data (i don't know if it needs to go in a certain place, but i put it under all of the other dim statements as that seemed to make sense):

' // BRETT Add Product SKUs to GA Order Tracking START
dim orderProducts()
' // BRETT Add Product SKUs to GA Order Tracking END

Then I set up this block of code to create an array of dictionary items holding all of the product data. I also had to pull the category from the database as it is not included in orderComplete.asp by default:

' BRETT Get default category query START
                    queryCategories="SELECT categories_products.idCategory, categories_products.defaultCategory, categories.categoryDesc FROM categories_products LEFT JOIN categories ON categories_products.idCategory=categories.idCategory WHERE idProduct=" & pidProduct
                    set rsCategories=server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")
                    set rsCategories=conntemp.execute(queryCategories)
                    if rsCategories.EOF then
                        set rsCategories = nothing
                    else
                        categoriesArray=rsCategories.getRows()
                        categoriesArrayCount=ubound(categoriesArray,2)
                    end if
                        pIdCategory = categoriesArray(0,0)
                        pCategoryName = categoriesArray(2,0)
                    for currentCat=0 to categoriesArrayCount
                        if categoriesArray(1, currentCat) = 1 then
                            pIdCategory = categoriesArray(0, currentCat)
                            pCategoryName = Server.HTMLEncode(categoriesArray(2, currentCat))
                        end if
                    next
                    ' BRETT Get default category query END

redim preserve orderProducts(productCount)
                         set orderProducts(productCount) = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")

orderProducts(productCount).Add "sku", pSku
                        orderProducts(productCount).Add "name", pdescription
                        orderProducts(productCount).Add "category", pCategoryName
                        orderProducts(productCount).Add "price", punitPrice
                        orderProducts(productCount).Add "quantity", pquantity

productCount = productCount + 1

I put that block of code right after this stuff:

'// Product Options Arrays
                         pcv_strSelectedOptions = rsOrdObj("pcPrdOrd_SelectedOptions") ' Column 11
                         pcv_strOptionsPriceArray = rsOrdObj("pcPrdOrd_OptionsPriceArray") ' Column 25
                         pcv_strOptionsArray = rsOrdObj("pcPrdOrd_OptionsArray") ' Column 4
                         pcPrdOrd_BundledDisc=rsOrdObj("pcPrdOrd_BundledDisc")
                         pGWText=rsOrdObj("pcPO_GWNote")
                         pprocessDate=ShowDateFrmt(pprocessDate)

pIdConfigSession=trim(pidconfigSession)

...and right before this stuff...

'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                         ' START: Get the total Price of all options
                         '~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                         pOpPrices=0
                         dim pcv_tmpOptionLoopCounter, pcArray_TmpCounter

So the whole section of the page should look like:

'// Product Options Arrays
                         pcv_strSelectedOptions = rsOrdObj("pcPrdOrd_SelectedOptions") ' Column 11
                         pcv_strOptionsPriceArray = rsOrdObj("pcPrdOrd_OptionsPriceArray") ' Column 25
                         pcv_strOptionsArray = rsOrdObj("pcPrdOrd_OptionsArray") ' Column 4
                         pcPrdOrd_BundledDisc=rsOrdObj("pcPrdOrd_BundledDisc")
                         pGWText=rsOrdObj("pcPO_GWNote")
                         pprocessDate=ShowDateFrmt(pprocessDate)

pIdConfigSession=trim(pidconfigSession)

queryCategories="SELECT categories_products.idCategory, categories_products.defaultCategory, categories.categoryDesc FROM categories_products LEFT JOIN categories ON categories_products.idCategory=categories.idCategory WHERE idProduct=" & pidProduct
                    if rsCategories.EOF then
                    else
                        categoriesArrayCount=ubound(categoriesArray,2)
                    end if
                        pCategoryName = categoriesArray(2,0)
                    for currentCat=0 to categoriesArrayCount
                        if categoriesArray(1, currentCat) = 1 then
                            pIdCategory = categoriesArray(0, currentCat)
                            pCategoryName = Server.HTMLEncode(categoriesArray(2, currentCat))
                        end if
                    next

redim preserve orderProducts(productCount)
                         set orderProducts(productCount) = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")

orderProducts(productCount).Add "sku", pSku
                        orderProducts(productCount).Add "name", pdescription
                        orderProducts(productCount).Add "category", pCategoryName
                        orderProducts(productCount).Add "price", punitprice
                        orderProducts(productCount).Add "quantity", pquantity

productCount = productCount + 1

' START: Get the total Price of all options

You'll see something in there about defaultCategory. We noticed there was no good way to set a "default" product category for breadcrumbs, canonicals, and other stuff. I just added a new defaultCategory column to categories_products and changed the modifyProduct.asp page on the dashboard to allow us to set a default category for each product.

This helped as, by default, productcart would use the first category to which the product was assigned for the breadcrumbs, which can sometimes be problematic.

However, you can probably replace that whole "Get default category" with a simple query to just pull the category name of the first assigned category for the product:

queryCategories="SELECT categories_products.idCategory, categories.categoryDesc FROM categories_products LEFT JOIN categories ON categories_products.idCategory=categories.idCategory WHERE idProduct=" & pidProduct
if rsCategories.EOF then
    set categoryName = "Unable to locate category."
else
    pCategoryName = categoriesArray(1,0)
end if

I'm not sure if this will be useful for anyone else, but I figured I'd post it here as it was a fairly simple modification. If anyone notices any errors / vulnerabilities in the code please let me know.

Edited by Brett - 01-March-2014 at 12:31am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic