ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bin Locations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bin Locations
    Posted: 14-September-2007 at 7:27am

I would be interested to hear how other productcart users deal with Bin Locations.  We have yet to launch our store but I was looking at the best way to handle this.  I have yet to upgrade to v3.1 but I understand it has a new picklist feature.  Can anyone advise whether this new feature uses a bin location field for picking products prior to shipment or indeed whether the picklists can show a custom field which can be set up to store the bin location of a product.

Any help from how existing users deal with this would be appreciated.  My store will potentially have thousands of products so I wanted to get it right from the start.

Many Thanks

Matt

fidjiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fidjiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2007 at 6:40pm
This is a great idea and I think it's addressed by the "custom fields" requests we've all had for productcart. I haven't updated my version of PC to 3.1 just yet but I'm praying it has a spot for bin locations too. :)
So what I've been told by EI is that a competent developer/programmer could add custom fields very easily. If it's so "easy" then they should add them for us and make us happy business owners! I mean we'd all use non searchable custom fields one way or another. 3 is just not enough. (bin location, upc, isbn, eta, warranty, manufacturer sku, lead time...)  :)
Linda - I wish I knew ASP.
To view my ever evolving site click the "www" button below. :)
mattprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2007 at 4:49am

Thanks Linda,

I am not so sure Custom Field are the ultimate answer to this one.  A Bin location would need to be a searchable custom field (as opposed to a customer input field) and as far as I can tell these do not show up on a packing list or invoice in Productcart.  Also, custom fields show up in the store front and advanced search box which the customer doesnt really need to see.

I am keen to know what fields the new pick list in v3.1 brings to this.  Can anyone tell me because I have yet to update from 3.051.  Does the new picklist feature work on SKU and product description only ?

Thanks

Matt

Edited by mattprice - 15-September-2007 at 4:50am
fidjiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fidjiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2007 at 10:59am
Matt,
True I agree that it definitely would not be a "custom field" like the ones I've requested in the past. But it would be a custom field if we had to get a programmer to add it for us. ;) Then we'd also have to end up changing the pick list file to include that field for us if it didn't include it. We wouldn't want this field viewable on the site just the admin. I've read through some of the documentation and it didn't seem to say anything about a new field. But yes if anyone out there has already tried this please let us know. Or EI please let us know about the Bin Location Field.
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2007 at 3:42pm

Hi everyone: the reason why adding a custom search field for us is a much, much bigger project than for a store owner is that when we add any product-specific settings we have to worry about...

• scalability. For example, custom search fields are currently limited in number, as you noted above: the feature should be fully rewritten to deliver full scalability
  • all import features
  • all export features
  • all product types and whether there are any issues with using the feature with all of them (standard, apparel, BTO, gift certificates, downloadable products, etc.)

For example, we would have to worry about things like: does it make sense to set the custom search field at the "Apparel sub-product" level (e.g. XXL could be in a different shelf in the warehouse compared to XXS, to pick up on the "Bin Location" mentioned above). But maybe you don't even use the Apparel Add-on and therefore this is not an issue at all for your specific store.

The point is that we typically have to look at a variety of issues that may not be relevant to your specific store. We are obligated to take into consideration as many scenarios as possible. You are not, obviously. You can focus on what's relevant to your implementation of ProductCart.

That's why if a store needs a couple of additional custom search fields, adding them to the "products" table in the database and adjusting the code a bit in the storefront and Control Panel to use them is a much easier project than it would for us to rewrite the feature (as mentioned above) and take into account all other aspects of the application that interact with it (e.g. Import Wizards, the new XML API, etc.).

At this time we are not planning a rewrite of this feature in the short term, so I would recommend using a developer to add the needed search fields to your installation of ProductCart.

This is probably not what you wished to hear, but we always believe in being clear and up-front with our customers.

Edited by earlyimp - 15-September-2007 at 3:46pm
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
fidjiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fidjiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2007 at 4:41pm
Thanks for the info, even if it is sad for us to hear. 
mattprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2007 at 3:23am

Thanks for your feebcak on customer fields.

However, going back to my original question on this thread if anyone can tell me how they deal with physical production location in the absence of a dedicated bin location field I would love to hear.

Most product user stores are selling physical products and many have 100's, sometimes 1000's of products.  I am asuming that productcart users were printing off a packing list (maybe now a picking list in v3.1) and going off to their stores areas (whether it be a wardrobe, a garage, or a full scale warehouse) to find the products to ship for that order.  I am just looking for some feedback as to the processes these store owners have in place to find their inventory.

Are you using the product SKU to organise your inventory in your stores rather than a separate bin location reference ?  Are you cross referring the SKU to an offline bin location list ?  Are you adding the Bin location to the product description so that it prints on the packing list (or new Pick List in V.3.1) ?

These are a few ideas I can think of but would love to hear how others handle a scenario where the number of products they are selling are at such a level that the organisation of their locations is paramount in running an efficient store.

Thanks

Matt

Edited by mattprice - 17-September-2007 at 3:34am
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2007 at 2:12am
I personally really like bin locations systems, because they are easier to manage physically then using SKU numbers.  SKU numbers work when you first set up the warehouse, but then you add new products that should go next to existing products on the shelf and there is no room, so everything has to be shifted.  Bin Locations had another layer to keep track of, so I suppose it depends how often your products change. I would first start with a well organized SKU numbering system that is somehow related to the products themselves in a way that when you do a sort on the SKU, similar products end up together in the list.  A good picklist should be able to be sorted by a bin or location code.  I haven't seen the PC newest release, so that should be interesting how that handles the bin locations.
Curt
mattprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2007 at 6:18am

Thanks avalight,

You have explained my problem much more clearly than I did.  In the absence of a dedicated BIN field I dont see any other way but to use the SKU to organise my stores but agree that a well managed stores will constantly be changing as new products are introduced or products are discontinued.

Perhaps the answer is to split the SKU into two parts; the first contains the constant product identifier and the second part contains the variable BIN location.

eg maybe one of my products will have a SKU : 123 (B-4)  where 123 is the part number and its stores location is B-4.  The only problem with this is that customers might get confused when reordering items, thinking that the part might be different to their previous order if it has a different SKU, when all we've done is moved it around in our stores.  Perhaps tagging the BIN reference on the end of the short decription would be better because I presume this will print out on the new Pick Lists in v3.1.

mmmmm  I'll have to think further.

Matt

mattprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2008 at 1:39pm

Sorry everyone,

I am resurrecting my old post from last september.   This one has still got me thinking.  After other projects had taken me away from Productcart for a while I am now back on the case of organising an efficient pick and ship online store.

You may want to read through the post to catch up with my dilemma.  If a store has got any more than a handful of products then I figure the physical stores need some sort of logical order.  How do other users (especially those with 100's or thousands of products) handle a Productcart order for pick and ship in the absence of a Bin Location field ?

Please give me some inspiration

Edited by mattprice - 18-January-2008 at 1:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic