ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buy X quantity, get Y quantity free

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wycha7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buy X quantity, get Y quantity free
    Posted: 06-February-2009 at 6:23am
I'm a beginner in Product Cart, I went over the quantity discount and cross promotion feature but neither suit my need.

I have this scenario where I would like to have a promotion on a product. Normally, the product is sold in single quantity. I would like to have a free 1 for every 5 unit promotion for this item.

So it will go like this:
1. Customer enters 4 quantity - cart will show 4 and total = 4 x single price
2. Customer enters 5 quantity - cart will show 6 and total = 5 x single price
3. Customers enters 9 quantity - cart will show 10 and total = 9 x single price
4. Customer enters 12 quantity - cart will show 14 and total = 12 x single price

Is this scenario configurable?

Thanks
-Ben
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2009 at 6:14pm
Hi Ben,
     This isn't supported - In particular automatically adjusting the number of products is not.
Most customers would be confused if they enter 9 and the cart then says 10.
For example, your example of adding 9 and the cart then holding 10 - some customers would then think  - I've got 10 in the cart - so TWO should be free. 

You can use the quantity discount feature and put specific percentage discounts to "simulate" this - so the pricing is correct - so the discount %age on 6 is  GREATER than that on, say, 8 - to give the equivalent of one free for each quantity.  

Alternatively just add text to the description to explain that you will be adding an extra one for each set of 5 ordered - however, if you use the stock control feature or run a busy site the latter idea is impractical as it relies on human intervention.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic