ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cani use access sql?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a3dcreator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cani use access sql?
    Posted: 05-March-2009 at 1:19pm
hi everyone i was wondering if I could use access sql instead of mysql2000 as i am currently using right now. and if it would be more advantagous to do so.

does anyone know if product cart supports Access?
thanks to you all.
www.wickedresin.com
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2009 at 1:33pm
I have a couple sites running Access instead of MSSQL, and these are sites which I built when I was fairly new to PC, and didn't know better.  I tend to discourage using Access for new clients.  With any sort of growing traffic to the site, those stores using Access tend to suffer timeout issues. 

There are a couple sites which are small, have limited products, and the merchants do little to increase traffic, and those sites will probably stay on Access.  But for the guy who actively promotes his store and has grown his traffic, we have recently upgraded those stores to MSSQL.

Why would you downgrade from MSSQL to Access?  Cost?  If so, I would discourage that choice.
a3dcreator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a3dcreator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2009 at 1:54pm
well i actually did not know i was downgrading.
thanks for making that aware to me.
i am trying to take some classes on ASP but the classes use Access instead of sql2000 which is wwhat we are using now. i just thought since i was gonna learn Access maybe is hould switch to it.
but now im thinking maybee i should find training courses that offer ASP training with sql 2000.

www.wickedresin.com
JoltDigital View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoltDigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2009 at 6:56am

Access is not suggested for a website backend. It is a single thread desktop application that does not scale and can actually cause your website to be inaccessable at times. This is due to it being single threaded and odbc/dsn issues that can arise from this. It is especially bad on windows 2003/2008 to the point that once your site gets any kind of traffic you can expect your website application to have to be restarted at least once a week

JoltDigital Inc.
1-888-785-5658
Premium ProductCart Hosting
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic