ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Card Type

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loracady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Card Type
    Posted: 28-October-2008 at 11:15am

I use authorize.net, and my gwAuthorizeAIM.asp page says,

"Card Type:"

instead of "Card Type:"

This weird "Â" is nowhere to be found in the code for this page.  How does it get there and how can I make it go away? 

www.TheSleepShop.com
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2008 at 11:54am
Hi,  Check includes/languages.asp - In the copy I have here the line to look for is :-
dictLanguage.Add "english_GateWay_12", "Card Type: "

BTW - I took a look at your site with Firefox & didn't see the "Â" when I got to the page.

loracady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loracady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2008 at 12:07pm
Hi Hamish-  Thanks for your reply.  I took a look at languages, but that crazy A is not there either.  Maybe it is just an IE thing. 
www.TheSleepShop.com
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2008 at 12:21pm
It's a character encoding issue, for sure, but quite what's happening on your page I'm not clear.
Found on another site : 
The character  is 0xC2 in ISO-8859-1. It is also the first byte of the two byte encoding that utf-8 uses to express some characters.

UTF-8 uses a single byte to express all characters with values between 0 and 127. Anything character from ISO-8859-1 that has a value between 128 and 255 requires two bytes to encode it. Anything between 128 and 191 (inclusive) will have a first byte of 0xC2, and if you read it as ISO-8859-1 instead of UTF-8, you will see a Â.

What does this really mean?

This is a Yen: "Â¥"
This is a Yen, if you read it wrong: "Â¥"

It looks fine, because in ISO-8859-1, a yen is 0xA5. And in UTF-8 a yen is 0xC2A5. So the character looks okay but there's junk at the start.

Nonbreaking space is 0xA0 in ISO-8859-1, and when it comes up in UTF-8 it is 0xC2A0. This will look like "Â ". I used the Yen example above because it's easier to see something rather than just a space.

Even if the text in languages.asp looks correct in an editor it MAY contain hidden characters that are being displayed as a space in your editor, but as "Â" by the browser. Try putting a fresh, hand coped copy of the line in the languages file and deleting the existing copy. It's worth a try. 
loracady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loracady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2008 at 1:45pm
Hi Hamish-  I created new copies of gwAuthorizeAIM.asp and the languages file, and then deleted the line on both and then re-typed the line.  It didn't work when I uploaded the new languages file, but it worked when I uploaded the new gwAuthorizeAIM.asp file.  Now the crazy  is gone.  Thanks for the advice!  I would never have thought to do that.
www.TheSleepShop.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic