ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cart Empty after adding products from category pag
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cart Empty after adding products from category pag

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eeversole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 1:38am

I'm sorry to revisit this topic, but it seems my earlier response of "all fixed" was incorrect.  I am now experiencing the Empty Cart message even on the computers which I tested this morning as working fine.  It again occurs when moving from the http Shopping Cart page to the https Checkout page. 

Another thing to note is we have turned the Session Saver off but nevertheless, we receive a Customer Service message indicating products have been loaded back into our cart when we reopen the browser and go to the site.

My boss is hesitant to move away from GoDaddy even though I have informed him several times it is not recommended for ProductCart hosting.  I know you can't make 100% assurances, but do you think if we moved the site this issue would go away?

And in the meantime, is there anything we can do?  I’m certain we are losing customers because of this.

Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 1:50am

Check your PM.

Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 2:16am
We have a test store at GoDaddy that uses SSL and works.  I just tested on your store and it worked fine.  The issue is sporadic so is probably due to an overloaded server.
cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 2:52am
Okay and for all that have been responding on this topic.  I believe I have discovered the root cause of this.

This is issue was bugging me so I have been doing some testing with one of our customer sites on our Windows2008 64Bit server and have been able to replicate this issue on our systems.  What is happening is the environment is creating a separate session variable each for "http" and another for "https" so that when you switch between them, it will give the appearance of missing items.  You can verify this when you experience the empty cart (if you are in https) by simply changing the URL for the page you are on to http and you will see your items in the cart.

The root of the problem is ProductCart running in the Win2008/IIS7 environment when IIS7 is set up using default values.  There is some key differences between IIS6 and IIS7 as I am discovering myself. 

If you do not have your own server you will need to be in discussion with your web host to have them change some settings in IIS7.

The Fix for IIS7

I the IIS properties window, under the ASP tab --> Session Properties, there is a setting for "New ID on Secure Connections" (this is the friendly name).  IIS7 had this set on/enabled by default.  You will need to ask your host to turn this setting off.  Once this is done, you should not have any further issue.

A more detailed explanation for this is discovered in looking at the real name for this setting which is "Keep Session ID Secure" and the description of this setting is that when enabled, it will ensure a secure channel by storing session info in an encrypted cookie.

I apologize for letting my geek show though a bit here but it is a tough one to explain.   Suffice it to say that if your host will change this setting, it "Should" work for you.
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
Hosting/Design/Customization/Database Migration
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 3:02am
I do want to add one thing to my post by saying that you really, really need to get away from GoDaddy.  I know this is a broken record theme here in the forum but it is worth saying again.

For those that may be reading this post now or in the future, please take note that the chance of GoDaddy being willing to make any sort of simple server change like what I described in my previous post is very slim.  I cannot emphasize enough how important it is that you host your ProductCart Store with a host that not only understands the application but is able to willingly customize the environment to better accomodate this Software.
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2010 at 12:52pm
Hi Eeversole,
   Re "My boss is hesitant to move away from GoDaddy" - GoDaddy may be cheap, but there is a reason why! 

Some people have sites that work fine at GoDaddy, many don't.
The time spent troubleshooting problems and getting to a support person willing and able to assist and the lost orders (& repeat customers) whilst a site is down and your battling through the GoDaddy helpdesk is likely to cost far more than choosing a good hosting company. Just my two cents on that subject Smile

Mark,
  Thanks for your post! There is an FAQ and  WIKI entry, but it's fairly brief and so I suspect it's easy to miss when searched for. I will use the info you provided to expand it (so please excuse me plagiarizing your post :-) ).

Hamish

benpate View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benpate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2010 at 9:08am
I haven't noticed the empty cart syndrome since i put in my non-www redirect but we do suffer from UPS not returning results sometimes and it gets fixed after a server reboot.

Our store is on a dedicated server and set to use "Default App Pool". I found these settings in IIS 6.0, but am not sure what the suggested values are.
ProductCart SEO - Resellers and Affiliates welcome
ecotutor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecotutor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2010 at 10:34pm

I have recently moved my site to a windows 2008 server. It is on its own application pool on IIS. My customers are now experiencing difficulty but I cannot consistently reproduce the problem. They state that they are trying to place an order but when they click "checkout" the system tells them there are no items in the cart. If they view the cart, it shows the items. After reading the posts above, I contacted my host, explained the situation and asked them to ensure that only one worker process was allowed . They have no idea what I am asking for, so I am now trying to fix this myself. There is one page on my hosting site that allows me to choose the Managed Pipeline Mode for my site's Application Pool. Values can be Integrated or Classic. When the value is Integrated, IIS uses the integrated IIS and ASP.NET request-processing pipeline to process requests in the application pool. When the value is Classic, IIS uses separate IIS and ASP.NET request-processing pipelines to process requests in the application pool. The default value is Integrated. Would changing it to Classic help my situation? Thanks for any assistance you can give me on this issue.

cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2010 at 10:44pm
Your site definitely needs its own dedicated pool to run on Win2008/IIS7 and Definitely needs to be in "Classic Mode" as well as have 32 bit applications set to True.

The reason for this is that Classic ASP is not compatible with 64Bit servers.

As for the cart, this is likely another behavior setting that needs to be changed in IIS.  In the sites section of IIS you will click on asp go to the behaviors.  you need to ensure that Parent Paths is enabled.  The critical setting and likely the culprit, is the one labeled keep session ID secure ... This MUST be set to FALSE.

Make these changes in IIS and you will likely have your site back to normal.

If you need further assistance you can email or call me

Edited by cognecy - 06-April-2010 at 10:45pm
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2010 at 10:45pm
PM Mark Shipp a.k.a cognecy. He can help you. He's been bull-dogging Win2k8 issues with PC quite well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic