ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing Session Timeout Default 20 min

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trodat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing Session Timeout Default 20 min
    Posted: 21-February-2008 at 10:48pm

I'm trying to charge the default session timeout for the cart by creating a global.asa file and uploading it into our root directory (our cart is in a /shop/ sub-directory). This is the code that I'm trying to use:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="VBScript" RUNAT="Server">
Sub Session_OnStart
' Change Session Timeout to 20 minutes (if you need to)
Session.Timeout = 60
' Set a Session Start Time
' This is only important to assure we start a session
Session("Start") = Now
End Sub
</SCRIPT>

This doesn't seem to work though. I've read about 15 websites about how to do this and although they seem to do a lot of talking about it, I can't find a specific script that I can use/work. All I want to do is increase the default session timeout in the admin and cart from 20 minutes to 60 minutes. I find it frustrating to have to re-login to the admin and I'm sure the user would get very upset to shop, add mutlipe items, go eat a sandwich, come back and they're all  gone.

netprofits View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2008 at 5:54am

See these articles/posts:
http://www.earlyimpact.com/faqs/afmviewfaq.asp?faqid=292 - Explanation for the problem.
http://www.earlyimpact.com/faqs/afmviewfaq.asp?faqid=65 - Common solutions
http://www.earlyimpact.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=631 - Similar to the answers above.

NetProfits Internet Consulting

Certified ProductCart Developer

Our Site
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2008 at 10:07pm

If the problem you seek to resolve is lost shopping sessions, you may find this useful: http://www.greybearddesign.com/productcart/session-saver/

I've not yet tried to install this on the admin but it may in fact be useful in that regard.  It will require modification for such an implementation.

ynotpyro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ynotpyro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 3:37pm
I had the problem of getting logged out of my admin area and losing all the tracking numbers I had entered in but not submitted yet(batch ship orders)  My simple solution was to install "Auto IE Refresher V1.0" which you can download for free.  I log into the admin area go to "view all orders" and activate the refresher for every 3333 seconds (which is 56 minutes because I get logged out every 60 minutes).  Then I open up a second tab with "batch ship orders" and I can enter in tracking numbers all day without ever getting logged out and losing the info.  As long as the admin area is on the other tab and refreshing you will never have any problems getting logged out or losing info while you are on the other tab.   I have been doing this for over 2 years and it works flawlessly for my needs.  Not very high tech but it works.
shannondoan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shannondoan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2008 at 5:52pm
Thank you ynotpyro for posting this!  it is just the answer I needed.
geoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2008 at 7:59pm
ynotpyro
Thanks that was a great suggestion. I use Opera as a browser for admin of PC and it has the automatic refresh built in - I did not think to look until you suggested - cheers! You have saved me about 10 logins a dayThumbs%20Up
worldofrugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worldofrugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2008 at 10:41am
For auto refreshing in Firefox:
I use ReloadEvery, a Firefox add-on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/115)

Edited by worldofrugs - 10-June-2008 at 10:51am
geoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2008 at 7:37pm
For Opera - right click on screen and select "refresh every..."
yeeyeng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yeeyeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2008 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Greg Dinger Greg Dinger wrote:

If the problem you seek to resolve is lost shopping sessions, you may find this useful: http://www.greybearddesign.com/productcart/session-saver/

I've not yet tried to install this on the admin but it may in fact be useful in that regard.  It will require modification for such an implementation.

Have anyone used GreyBeard Design Group’s session saver add-on? Any feedback?
gmoneyreg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmoneyreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2008 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by yeeyeng yeeyeng wrote:

Have anyone used GreyBeard Design Group’s session saver add-on? Any feedback?

Yes, I have implemented Greg's "Session Saver" code and I can attest that it works great.

The customers who visit the site I designed do not always have the luxury of completing their order without interruptions. The GreyBeard session saver eliminated the issue of customers losing everything they spent time adding to their cart.

See for yourself:
http://www.alliedmpi.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic