ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Creating Product Database from existing website...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Creating Product Database from existing website...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BlackReefDesigns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackReefDesigns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Creating Product Database from existing website...
    Posted: 24-November-2008 at 2:58am
Thanks again for your help Greg
Joe S.
BlackReef.net
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2008 at 1:23am
Ya, Access should allow you to export the table to either format.  Copy/Paste is one way, but not the easiest.

The directions to do that will vary based on the version of Access you have, but that can easily be googled.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackReefDesigns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2008 at 11:37pm
Greg -

Thanks for the help.  I have an update.  The client just sent me his personal product database, however it is in a 'Microsoft Access' format.  I can only open it in Access - is there a way I can save it as a .XLS or .CSV?

EDIT: I think I can figure it out.  I am just Copying and Pasting from the Access spreadsheet into the Excel spreadsheet.  I will then save it and import it.

Edited by BlackReefDesigns - 23-November-2008 at 11:38pm
Joe S.
BlackReef.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2008 at 10:24pm
If you can do so, I'd get your hands on the login credentials to the site's current web hosting account control panel.  Poke around and see what you can find in terms of database references.

If Cart32 thinks they are losing one to the competition, they may have just decided to not be very helpful.  And if you are asking the client, they simply may not know enough about the underlying technology of the site to realize there's a db.

I realize that you state that you spoke with the Cart32 folks, but this really seems odd.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2008 at 10:12pm
This article references a Access, MSSQL or mySQL database

Are you certain beyond doubt that the current site has NO database?  Really?

If you can find a database, be it mySQL, MSSQL or whatever, then the goal will be to export it to a worksheet so it can be imported using the PC import tool.

Edited by Greg Dinger - 23-November-2008 at 10:20pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackReefDesigns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2008 at 10:05pm
I was wondering if you all could help me and give me suggestions on how to build a database using an existing online store.

Basically I am building a new website for a customer using ProductCart.  Their current website setup uses Cart32.exe.  The client has over 700 products or so, and I need to create a new database with the product information.

Can you give me any recomendations on how I might be able to quickly create a database out of the 700 products? 

I contacted Cart32 to see if I could somehow export the product database to a spreadsheet.  They say the don't support that feature since all the products are added via HTML.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can quickly create the new Database?  What I have been doing thus far is going through his existing website and manually inputting information into an excel spreadsheet.....but it is taking forever and was wondering if there was a faster way.

Thanks
Joe S.
BlackReef.net
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic