ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do you upload/manage client products to database?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you upload/manage client products to database?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackReefDesigns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you upload/manage client products to database?
    Posted: 09-December-2008 at 6:44pm
Just curious, do you guys (Web Programmers and Designers) typically upload and manage the client's product information initially?  Just wondering if this is something the client should typically take care of after instruction, or if the web designer should take care of it.

Im relatively new to eCommerce website building, and I am having a hard time trying to figure out how much I should or shouldn't do for the client, especially when it comes to adding 1000+ products!!!

Also same applies for setting up their Shipping services, Credit Cart Merchant, SSL, etc.
Joe S.
BlackReef.net
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2008 at 7:02pm
Only in cases of stores with a small number of products would I ordinarily upload images and establish product data.  Not that I wouldn't locate resources to provide such a service if my client asks me to do so, but I find that my clients typically are trying to economize and choose to do that work themselves.  Additionally, they will typically understand their products better.  I have certainly assisted with their CSV import activities.

In terms of the administration of shipping, payment methods, etc. - the first thing I do when I install a store is to create at least test versions of those so I can run a test sale to completion.  Then, depending upon the needs of the client, I'll help with the more permanent settings.

And in the role of the host, I absolutely am involved in SSL purchase and installation.

It really comes down to what you are charging for your time, what services the client is asking you to deliver, and what they want to do themselves.
netprofits View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2008 at 7:06pm
Most of our clients enter their own products and pictures once we train them on the Product Cart control panel.

If the customer wants us to import product info and/or create/upload product images, we will charge extra for that. The cost depends on the number of products and the format in which they provide the data and pictures. For example, exporting data from a mfg database to an Excel spreadsheet, massaging the data to match the Product Cart format and then importing into Product Cart is fairly easy. Manually copying product descriptions and other details from some other electronic format, or worse, typing it from printed material is much more time consuming and therefore more expensive per product.

Creating product images from existing large images is pretty simple using an automated script with a tool like Fireworks. Scanning images from photos is much more work.

Just as a ballpark, we've charged as little as $3/product and as much as $20/product depending on the amount of work. We always work out the details on that up front and let the customer decide what they want to do.

I hope that helps.
NetProfits Internet Consulting

Certified ProductCart Developer

Our Site
BlackReefDesigns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackReefDesigns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2008 at 8:46pm
wow, I am doing 1200 products for a flat fee of $500.  Sounds like I'm undercharging quite a bit.

Regardless, I will learn from mistakes and make changes in the future.  I'm still learning alot of Business techniques when dealing with clients.  I haven't really had anyone to learn off of since Im the only one I know that is in this business, so I appreciate the help and insight.

Thanks again

Edited by BlackReefDesigns - 09-December-2008 at 8:51pm
Joe S.
BlackReef.net
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic