ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Add-on's > Mobile Commerce Add-on
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ETA on Mobile Add-in for BTO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote highgravity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ETA on Mobile Add-in for BTO
    Posted: 09-January-2013 at 8:23pm
Is there any chance this will ever be available for BTO items? We have at least 1/3 of our store as BTO's. 
Desiree Knott

High Gravity Homebrewing & Winemaking Supplies

7142 S Memorial Dr.

Tulsa, OK 74133

(918) 461-2605

desiree@highgravitybrew.com

http://www.highgravitybrew.com

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2013 at 10:18pm
Hi Desiree,

I suspect that this is a ways out yet. EI still hasn't released the new PayPal updates (was supposed to be back at the end of Oct.), nor other items they were working on for 4.7 (I understand that revisions for the Google feed for Apparel stores was going to be the big item there).

I would be a glass house throwing stones to suggest we've never got really backed up and behind, but this is what I know to the best of my knowledge.
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2013 at 12:11am

Hi Desiree,

Sean touched on a couple topics.  To clarify, 2012 was almost entirely devoted to updating 3rd Party integrations and certifications (e.g FedEx, PayPal, etc.).  To be honest, we would much rather be building fun new features, but these are the core services our merchants depend on and they needed updates.  Keeping up on the 3rd Party integrations is incredibly costly for us, but it's one of those things we do for our merchants that makes that Support and Updates plan totally worthwhile.  That said, there are dozens and dozens of updates, patches, and features already completed for v4.7 and there will be a new ProductCart release in 2013.  Sean mentioned October for PayPal, but we have a lot of internal deadlines we share with trusted devs like Sean... but we still have not made an official announcement.  Support for PayPal’s latest lineup will be available via “check for updates” soon.

Ok! So to answer your question... 2013 will have more feature updates, but I'm not sure this will be one of them.  We have a lot of new data from merchants telling us that the mobile add-on is a huge asset.  However, the minimal mobile format isn't really conducive for purchasing complex, configurable products.  I think we'd have to rebuild BTO from the ground up with a native layout for it to be effective.  The fact is that tablets are already served the full site and smart phone users have the option to switch to the full site.  So the BTO mobile issue isn't as big of an issue as it appears before you look at the data.  That said, I’m sure you hear feedback from customers and I’d love to hear from you.  Feel free to send us an email to our support address.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2013 at 1:56am
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

We have a lot of new data from merchants telling us that the mobile add-on is a huge asset.  However, the minimal mobile format isn't really conducive for purchasing complex, configurable products.  I think we'd have to rebuild BTO from the ground up with a native layout for it to be effective.  The fact is that tablets are already served the full site and smart phone users have the option to switch to the full site.  So the BTO mobile issue isn't as big of an issue as it appears before you look at the data.  That said, I’m sure you hear feedback from customers and I’d love to hear from you.  Feel free to send us an email to our support address.

I honestly stopped just short of venturing the same, Matt, but I honestly wasn't sure where EI was on this.

I completely agree. BTO is complex enough, and frankly rare enough, that the option to use the full version of the site in the small view port of a smart phone is adequate considering all of the other higher level issues to work on. 

Frankly, I think there are many other more general aspects to address with the mobile add-on itself, but I'll take that up later.

Edited by Sean@WMS - 10-January-2013 at 2:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic