ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Excel info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vppaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Excel info
    Posted: 18-April-2006 at 12:10am
Hello,
I am trying to fill out an Excel sheet to import my data and I am getting confused on the different categories. I am using the empty excel file from productcart.
1 - If I use the parent category and name it "Fruit" will it be placed at the root level?
2 - if I name the category name "Apple" will it put Apple as a sub-category of Fruit?
3 - if I name parent category 1 "Green" will that make Green a sub-category of apple?
4 - if I name additional catergory 1 "Red" will that make Red a sub-category of apple?
I am trying to sell prints that come in various sizes and  various grades of paper stock. I cannot find any reference to "Manage Products > Batch Process Sub-Products" that I found on Q&A. I would like to creat the list in excel and upload it but right now I am worried about sending the wrong info and having a bigger problem fixing it.
Thanks,
Paul
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2006 at 12:38am

Here are a few 'general' suggestions about importing data:

- We recommend that you first create your Category tree (structure) through the Control Panel (so, don't use the Import Feature to actually create the Categories in the database).  Then using the Import Wizard, import just a few products initially, to make sure everything is working properly.

- ProductCart supports up to 4 Category levels (deep) including the ROOT, and Categories that contain products cannot also contain Subcategories (which also means that you cannot add Products to a Category that has Subcategories).

- Completely remove columns (from the Excel template) that do not contain any data (with the exception of course of the 4 required fields: SKU, NAME, PRODUCT DESCRIPTION & ON-LINE PRICE).

Also keep in mind that when, importing products, there is no way to indicate the Grandparent Category, or Great-Grandparent Category.... just the Category and Parent Category.  Remember to define the Category Hierarchy in the Control Panel first, and then Import the products.  For example, if you're Category Tree looks like this:

Root
 - Camping Supplies
    - Tents
        - 4 Person Tents

Then, in a spreadsheet that you are importing, let's say the product is a North Face 4-man tent, you would designate the Category as "4 Person Tents" and the Parent Category as "Tents"... and that's it.  You do not need to reference Camping Supplies (which is the Grandparent Category) in the spreadsheet, as it will find it automatically.  The only time this is a problem is if you have separate Category Trees that have duplicate Category Names.  If this is the case, you should slightly modify the Category Names so they are not exact duplicates.  I hope this helps.

The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
vppaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vppaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2006 at 4:20pm
Thank you for your quick reply!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic