ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tax Exempt Products in Canada

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnickca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tax Exempt Products in Canada
    Posted: 20-May-2008 at 1:58pm
Does anyone know how to manage products that are exempt from one tax and not the other?
We need to charge both GST for all Canadian Customers and PST for Ontario customers. However Ontario customers are exempt from paying PST for items such as Children's shoes and books. WE have tried countless options in the admin and have not found a success method of achieving this. If anyone has mastered this problem, can you please shed some light?

Thank You -
caughlan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caughlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 4:08pm
You can only set up those products to exclude all tax, so the gst would be excluded too...Cry

We need to have wholesale customers excluded from paying one of the taxes as well. I've spent the day trying to do something similar.

We absolutely need more control over the taxes here in Canada. This time I'm more than willing to pay a developer for a solution! its getting really really frustrating. I have the same problem as cnickca, just different customers.
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 4:25pm
ProductCart has a "Tax by Zone" feature that was specifically designed with Canadian Taxes in mind. You can have multiple taxes that can be applied to different zones and the zones themselves can consist of the same region or different region combinations. This allows you the flexibility to charge the different taxes in the proper manner. It will also allow you to set products and/or whole categories exempt for certain taxes.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
caughlan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caughlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 4:35pm
So you could set up PST as a Zone instead of a tax, and then set up exemptions to the products using that zone... that would work - i just tried it.

Doesn't help me whatsoever though. I have to exclude only one tax by customer, not by product or category

Edited by caughlan - 20-May-2008 at 4:41pm
caughlan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caughlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 5:02pm
Using that same technique I created three new categories just for wholesale customers and made them PST exempt. Then I added a line to my wholesale_cat_menu page (which I hard code) that instructs customers to use those categories for shopping to avoid paying PST (but it still charges them GST luckily)

(as an aside, i have to leave the other categories visible to them because I've made the new ones quick-pick add-to-cart pages without product descriptions)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic