ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

updating online inventory levels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: updating online inventory levels
    Posted: 07-June-2007 at 11:09am

We just started using PRODUCT CART and are finding it much better than the previous solution.

We're using a POINT OF SALE software for the brick and mortar store with PC supporting the online effort.  The biggest problem we have is valid quantities on hand.  We also don't have everything in the brick and mortar store up online (yet).

If I extract ALL items in the POS software, trim it down to SKU and QOH with the proper mapping to put into the PC database, what will happen with the unmatched SKU's?  Is it safe to throw ALL the items at the online database or do I need to trim down to just the online items?

fidjiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fidjiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2007 at 11:43am
1. Congrats! I love PC.
2. Yes, syncing QOH is always hard when you have more than 1 system in place.
3. In the User Manual Pg 110 (or 112) it says that if the product exists in the Database, then it will update it using the sku in the Import file, however if the product doesn't exist in both places then PC will add the product to the Database but it will need to make sure all of the required fields are present to add the products correctly.

Now I am not sure if the products would be ignored or not added to the Database if let's say, you didn't have all of the required information for PC to create a new product from your Import file. (does that make sense, example below.)

If you wanted to test this you could simply create a file to import which only included 2 columns, SKU and QOH and throw in a new test sku for kicks which is not already in PC. Then see if the import failed all together or if it simply ignored adding your "test sku." That would give you your solid answer. :) Let me know what happens.

-Personally, I would add all of your products to your online store, simply because you can just check mark it when you need it to become "active" on the site. Maybe when it's slow in your store or your customers request it online, then you can easily activate your products. But I totally understand the size of that task. I think it is worth it though.-

Hope that helps. If anyone would like to correct me on anything please feel free. :)

P.S. If you don't mind me asking, what POS software are you using? I too would like a POS software which can link up to my PC shopping cart, but am affraid it won't sync up correctly. I would like something like a "live sync." (that would be too easy. Right?:) )
Linda - I wish I knew ASP.
To view my ever evolving site click the "www" button below. :)
billh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2007 at 11:53am

We're using The Retail Solution.  A google search will show it at the top of the list.  It's pretty good stuff, but no "hard" attachment to the online store.  That software will generate an online store, but it lacks on several fronts.

I'll give what you suggested a shot and be back shortly.

fidjiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fidjiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2007 at 12:24pm
Thanks! I sure hope PC comes out with a POS mod which would allow us to simply enter customer info if we wanted to and add products to the cart in a simple form fashion. :)
billh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2007 at 1:55pm

IT WORKED!!! IT WORKED!!!

Cool, now we can keep them a little closer to concurrent.

billh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2007 at 2:45pm
I should mention, it provides a bucket load of error messages for all the products that don't sync, but it updated the ones we have online flawlessy.
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2007 at 5:31pm

Integration with POS systems will likely happen through third parties, rather than provided by Early Impact directly. That's because there are a lot of systems out there, and it makes sense for companies that already have an expertise in those systems to perform the integration with ProductCart.

As far as we know, the following POS system has been integrated: http://www.posim.com/home.html

The company behind POSIM is a good ProductCart reseller: so they definitely had a good understanding of ProductCart when they performed the integration. Contact them for more information.

The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
fidjiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fidjiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2007 at 2:25am
billh,

I'm so glad it worked. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I was on Vacation.
I bet there were errors, but if there weren't then those of us who actually want all of the items to be updated wouldn't ever know which items still needed to be fixed. :) But glad you could make it work for your store.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic