ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Image folders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Image folders
    Posted: 01-July-2009 at 9:02am
Hi hamish
I am just wondering if the product Images i have can be placed in their own directories under pc/catalog so far i have 1400 images and it is nearly impossible to find anything back if they are in their own folder.
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2009 at 9:14am
Originally posted by windsurfer windsurfer wrote:

Hi hamish
I am just wondering if the product Images i have can be placed in their own directories under pc/catalog

Yes, many merchants follow such a procedure.  However, you will then need to move them their via FTP or similar because the built-in upload process only knows to place the files in the CATALOG folder.
windsurfer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2009 at 9:42am

Thanks Greg, I have noticed though that when selecting an image when creating a product there is no option to go and search in a different folder.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2009 at 9:53am
I doubt that my clients who categorize images in such a manner use the search tool to locate the image names.  Better to establish a very rigid naming convention so there is no guessing as to the name, and just be able to either type the name or possibly use the excel import/export tool to upload all the names. If the image names can be based on something like SKU + a reference to large/medium/small, you will be way ahead of the game in terms of being organized.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2009 at 10:08am
I'm with Greg on this point. A solid naming convention for images is a real boon when you have very large numbers of images to manage. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2009 at 10:27am
I do agree with having a solid naming convention but other than that..... no ... i don't agree with you. If you have an item with subitems and accessories belonging to one particular model, CAT5E, CAT6, Coaxial, F, RCA and etc items that all have sub items  it would first of all be easy to find what goes with what and secondly if discontined easily deleted with all it's subitems. I right now have a structured folder system setup for all my items and no problem finding what belongs to what and what catagory. Not only can't you remember all SKU's and this way i can assign the first 2 or 3 letters or numbers in the sku or item number coorosponding to the folder they are in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2009 at 10:37am
Well, agree or not, I'm just stating the way the system works.  The upload does not have the ability to handle subfolders, and the index/search (to the best of my knowledge) does not have the ability to return results in the subfolders.  We had to go to significant additional effort to build such support when we created this tool: http://www.greybearddesign.com/productcart/orphan-image-manager/

So again, I assert that the answer is that the clients who I am aware of, and who categorize their images in folders, manually complete the folder/image names.  That may or may not work for  you, but it's what is currently available.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2009 at 10:54am
Maybe so but it would be nice if your program would allow to at least select an image from ones computer when entering a product especially at initial setup  
daytonacameras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daytonacameras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2009 at 1:34pm
I have a similar issue. I have been selling in my ebay store for several years and have a large structured folder image catalog with multiple product images in their own subfolders. Most of the images have unique names, but not all so putting in one folder will not work. If I copy the structure to the catalog folder will I be able to add/index/browse to them from within Product Cart? I specifically shose this shopping cart due its handling of multiple images but no major image database in the world keeps its images on one folder...
Russ
www.daytonacameras.com
an example of my image structure is at
https://www.daytonacameras.com/image_archive/
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2009 at 3:01pm
Hi,
  You can use any structure of folders you wish, but at the cost of not being able to index the images etc, at least not with the code as supplied.
An alternative is to flatten the file structure with a tool such as xxcopy, which can avoid duplicate names and, I believe, optionally include elements of the folder name in the new filenames. http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy16.htm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic