ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Integrating a Flash Menu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fischerj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Integrating a Flash Menu
    Posted: 26-August-2006 at 10:29pm
I would like to be able to integrate a flash menu with product carts .asp.  Has anyone been able to do this? Any help would be great! 
netprofits View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2006 at 7:07am

If you know how to create the Flash menu, just replace the display of the menu in header.asp with your Flash menu. If you are good at Flash you can make it somewhat dynamic and have it read a text file of the category menu options or active content pages and dynamically build the menu from your text. However since the menu is displayed on every page of the site, this can sometimes be slow. If you don't change your navigation very much, you're better off building the Flash with the menu options directly.

NetProfits Internet Consulting

Certified ProductCart Developer

Our Site
fischerj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fischerj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2006 at 12:07pm
Thanks alot for the detailed reply!  I am comfortable with design and animation in Flash but I'm just getting startd with navigation.  What kind of scripting would be involved in this.  If you could elaborate on this idea that would be great.  Also,  what do you mean by "building the Flash with the menu options directly"?

Thanks again.
netprofits View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2006 at 12:27pm

I am not real experienced with Flash but most people create their whole Flash menu directly in Flash, i.e. the text, graphics and links are all defined in Flash. But there is a way to create a Flash file where it can read text and/or graphics externally from the Flash file when running in a browser and display those. So if you created a Flash menu and wanted to change the text on the buttons or the links, you just change a text file and the Flash file shows the new information. I am not sure how to do this but if you search Flash forums, I'm sure you can find information. If you're menus won't change, it is easier to just build the whole meu in Flash without external references. As far as scripting, I think the only scripting in Flash would be setting up the links when you click on a menu button.

In the header.asp file (vs. 3.0), search for a line with this text:

<!--#include file="inc_catsmenu.asp"-->

Replace it with your Flash code. That is an include file to display the product categories.

NetProfits Internet Consulting

Certified ProductCart Developer

Our Site
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic