ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Content Page Length

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darvexwomp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Content Page Length
    Posted: 18-April-2010 at 6:32pm
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a length limit when adding content to a custom content page.  I am trying to add a fair of amount of information for a page that I created on our site but it times out on me when I try to save it.  If I cut the length of the HTML by about half, it updates right away and displays on the page.  It seems to be related to the amount of data.  I checked my html which only includes simple table tags ( no <oi> or <ul> ) and ran it thru a validator to make sure it wasn't something in my code.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Brian
"I gave my love a chicken...It had no bones"
dccreatives View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dccreatives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2010 at 1:57pm
I am having the same issue. Ever sorted it out?

I am trying to paste small amounts at once, but I am still timing out.
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2010 at 3:37pm
What database are you running?  SQL 2000, 2005 or 2008?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dccreatives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2010 at 3:42pm
MS SQL 2005

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2010 at 3:49pm
The field pcCont_Comments is defined as type nvarchar(4000).  If you can pop into the database with SQL Studio, and change that field to nvarchar(MAX), you will get 8000.  Give that a try.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2010 at 5:13pm
Mark Shipp, ever watchful to make sure database-related posts are handled ever so correctly, gently reminded me of an oversight.   I knew this, but overlooked it. 

You need to run this query after changing the data type:

UPDATE pcContents SET pcCont_Comments = pcCont_Comments

That query will write teh data over itself in order to have the data correctly stored in the database.  As Mark stated it:  they need to run a script to assign the column back to itself otherwise the data remains in the LOB and not placed back into the DB where it belongs. 

Thanks Mark!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dccreatives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2010 at 10:50am
I updated it and ran the query to no avail. I am insterting the content with HTML tags. It does not want to take more text. Here is the page: http://208.106.234.13/store/pc/Frequently-Asked-Questions-d2.htm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2010 at 10:57am
I can only recommend that you either file a support ticket or hire a developer who will have the ability to evaluate the issue at the code level and resolve it.  I've taken this as far as I know how to without actually connecting to the database and performing debugging procedures.
netprofits View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2010 at 11:22am
We had a similar issue with a version 3.x store. The eventual solution was to modify the viewprd.asp module (in the pc folder) and comment out the section that contains this comment:
'// increase visits for product

(This is around line 320 depending on your version).
For some strange reason, the update of the product visits was causing an error with pages that had longer descriptions.
NetProfits Internet Consulting

Certified ProductCart Developer

Our Site

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2010 at 11:31am
Dan, that's fascinating. I saw that EI disabled that feauture in 4.1 but never heard the background as to why.  Thanks for sharing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic