ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shipping Rates Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kleenstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shipping Rates Question
    Posted: 07-July-2008 at 3:10pm
We sell a variety of products. We give discounted shipping rates on most products. So we've set up a Custom Shipping Option that handles the bulk of our products, based on: Percentage of Order Amount. This works great for "most" items.

However we have a number of items that don't qualify for the discounted shipping. For these items, we just need to run standard UPS rates. I need to find a way to get the shopping cart to differentiate between the two. We need to be able to select a product for the custom option. And then we need to be able to select the next product for UPS Shipping.

Please help. The shipping settings seem to be very limiting. Any tricks or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2008 at 3:26pm
What are your criteria for products not being included in the discounted shipping? (No need to answer if this is commercially sensitive).
What should happen if someone adds a mix of products that qualify for the discount and those that don't to the cart?
kleenstep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kleenstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2008 at 3:56pm
I would like the "criteria" to be selectable for each item. That way, when Item 1 (with custom shipping rate) gets dropped into the cart, along with Item 2 (with standard UPS rate) --- it all gets calculated by the software.

But I can see where this might not work easily, since the pricing for Item 2, would cancel out the the adjustable shipping rate on Item 1.

As an alternate, is there a way to set up FIXED shipping costs for each ITEM, on an item by item basis? So that they would appear as a line item called SHIPPING?

kleenstep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kleenstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2008 at 4:25pm
Let me put this a different way...

We have always offered free shipping on all items.

It is beginning to eat us alive with the increasing rates from UPS!

So I need a way to adjust the shipping costs.

I would basically like to offer a discount off of UPS rates. In other words, we would absorb say 10 % - 20% of the UPS shipping costs.

Do you have any ideas for tweaking the shipping???

Thanks!

Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2008 at 5:35pm
I'm no expert on the UPS shipping, & I'm not aware of any built in functionality to offer shipping discounts. However, there are lots of ProductCart users so hopefully someone will know if this is simple or really complex. Anyone out there doing this?

In the meanwhile you could offer fixed price shipping based on order values perhaps?
It seems that shipping is quite a hot topic on the forum.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic