ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Arrivals Order?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotokirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Arrivals Order?
    Posted: 14-June-2008 at 6:51pm
Does anyone know how to change to order that products are shown on the New Arrivals page (shownewarrivals.asp)?

I can't even figure out how the order is determined. It's not sorting by name or price or SKU as far as I can tell. It isn't even sorted by the ProdID.

Right now I've got a bunch of items that are just sticking at the top of the page no matter how many new items I add to the store. New items are showing up in the middle of the New Arrivals page.

I would like it to default sort by SKU (descending)....that would put our newest products at the top of the new arrivals page.

Even better would be if the user Sort be allowed on that page....

Thanks in advance.
Rotofugi Designer Toy Store & Gallery
Chicago > IL > US
http://rotofugi.com
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2008 at 9:10pm
Hi,
From the WIKI :-
"All the features available on the page are the same as the ones described for Manage Best Sellers, with exception to the following difference:
New arrivals only include products that have been added in the last N days (as determined by each user).
For example, if you added 14, only products that have been added to the database in the last 14 days would be displayed on the New Arrivals page."
and for that (Best Sellers) see : http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/marketing-best_sellers

To change the order you need to tweak the SQL statement, lines 113 & 115 in my copy.
Change the end of the SQL statements from :-
ORDER BY products.pcprod_EnteredOn DESC;"
to:
ORDER BY products.sku DESC;"

(Not tested - but give it a try Smile) - Don't forget the guidelines as per my Sig
I've not looked into pcprod_EnteredOn , but I'd say that its the date that items were added to the stores db, so I'm surprised it's not doing what you need anyway.
Perhaps those "stuck" items have a duff or future "entered on" date?
rotokirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotokirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2008 at 9:30pm
I'll give that a shot and report back....as always, thanks for the helpful advice!
Chicago > IL > US
rotokirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotokirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2008 at 1:33am
I didn't try your solution yet Hamish, but I did a little digging around in the database and it seems that the pcProd_EnteredOn variable only stores the date and not the time an item is added to the database, thus the behavior I was seeing. All of the items added on a given day are stamped with the date but they all say they were added at 12:00:00 AM. It's like having a VCR without the clock set. LOL.

As items are added they were going onto the end for that day's new arrivals, thus the reason they were showing up in the middle of the New Arrivals page since I've been adding a lot of stuff in preparation for our launch this coming Wednesday.

I think I'll just bear with it for now given the number of other things I need to finish before then, but it would certainly be helpful if, in the future, PC could record both the date and time items are added to the database so that the New Arrivals would sort more accurately.

Chicago > IL > US
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2008 at 3:30am
Hi,
  I guess it's because it's designed around normal use, where a store is less volatile.
Most of the time stores are a lot less volatile than they are pre-launch, with only a few items changing each time. I guess for stores with a very hgh volume of new items each day it may matter, but even then I suspect the new arrivals on any one day would just all be added in one go, so would not necessarily be added in any particular order.

ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2008 at 4:02am
Nice avatars you two!

This is an area of the application where we agree that the store manager should have more control. Some products might not need to be listed among the new arrivals, some might need to be listed even if they are not strictly the newest.

I don't know whether we will have time to enhance this area of the application for the upcoming v3.5 release (July release). We'll keep you posted.

Massimo
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
rotokirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotokirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2008 at 4:09am
Edited because I posted before seeing Massimo's reply. :)

Massimo, thank you again for being so active here on the forums and listening to user input.

If there is a way to just get the time entered involved in the equation we'd be set.

Edited by rotokirby - 15-June-2008 at 4:13am
Chicago > IL > US
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2008 at 4:23am
Hi Massimo,
       My Avatar is one of Rotokirby's products, when I looked at his store I thought many of them would make great Avatar's  - so I asked if I could borrow  one Smile
rotokirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotokirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2008 at 4:40am
And we definitely appreciate the extra promotion! :)

If anyone is interested, Hamish's avatar is "Bossy Bear" by artist David Horvath, manufactured by Hong Kong toy makers Toy2R.
Chicago > IL > US
rotokirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotokirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2008 at 12:34pm
BTW Hamish, your suggestion above worked perfectly for us.
Chicago > IL > US
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic