ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP??Custom 404 Error Handler went wrong

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP??Custom 404 Error Handler went wrong
    Posted: 03-November-2008 at 3:41am
HI

I think I've made a really big error Cry I tried to optimise my search engine rankings with the custom 404 error handler think I've just destroyed all my hard work

As soon as I realised  that it wasn't working I replaced the files back it could only have been a few minutes but in the meantime I think I've been wiped out by google see below this link I found total 19 on my webhosts reports. I'm now receiving no google analytic stats for 2 days although I submitted a site map yesterday and I've checked they have indexed over 2000 pages so that looks ok. I have re submitted my site to google today

Does anybody know how else I can be re-instated or will I ever??? feeling really sick
Google    
Error

Bad Request

Your client has issued a malformed or illegal request.

http://www.shiningimagegallery.com

ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2008 at 5:05am
Your Web site is in the Google index. See:
http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=n&rlz=&=&q=info%3Awww.shiningimagegallery.com

However, your Google Analytics code is incorrectly located. For example, on the home page you have:

</head>
<script src="https://ssl.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" type="text/javascript">
</script>
<script type="text/javascript">
_uacct = "UA-1664507-3";
urchinTracker();
</script>
<body>

You should never have any content between the closing HEAD tag and the opening BODY tag. Move the GA code to the bottom of the page, for example, right before the closing BODY tag. So it would look like this:

<script src="https://ssl.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" type="text/javascript">
</script>
<script type="text/javascript">
_uacct = "UA-1664507-3";
urchinTracker();
</script>
</body>
</html>

Back to the issue in your message: having a Web site down for a limited amount of time will not result in having it removed from the index, since search engines understand that Web server can be down for all sorts of reasons, at times.

Nothing to worry about, unless you are doing something else that is not OK in the eye of the search engines.

The real problem you have - in terms of search engine optimization - is that, according to Google, you have virtually no incoming links (see this report). Start a blog, do some good old PR, write on forums related to what you do, be creative! Receiving quality, incoming links takes a lot of hard work (it ultimately comes down to having great content on your Web site that people will want to point others to), but it certainly pays off in the end.

Edited by earlyimp - 03-November-2008 at 5:06am
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2008 at 5:42am
Adding your URL to your signature on emails, forums etc etc is a simple starting point, but as earlyimp says, it's a slog to get good quality links.
shiny View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2008 at 5:46am
Hi

Thank you so much for that I'll get to it now

Re links the fact is google is not registering all my incoming links I have a number including  2 photographic networks France in Photos directory and of course PC apart from smaller ones and I see I get regular links from these yet none are showing as incoming links

Although I am ranked with google I have a lovely small green line on page rank but think this it is because of my expanding content
So how I will get the time to chat on forums I don't know  34 hrs a day please him up there Thumbs%20Up ???
Really appreciate you putting my mind at rest I'm just a photographer dabbling in things she really ought to leave to the experts!!Hug I think your all amazing And I was getting a bit tooo cocky as I have got this far with only a few minor hiccupsGeek

Thanks again
Kathy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic