ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ver. 3.5 Experience

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthernBead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ver. 3.5 Experience
    Posted: 09-November-2008 at 10:23am
I installed 3.5 this weekend and even though I was nervous about the update procedure (you never know what can go wrong) everything went smoothly and faster than I thought - especially the database update. We have over 13,000 products and I thought the database part would take forever.

We have noticed some slower load times for the product pages. Especially the new Zoom-in feature. While it looks fantastic it seems to really slow down Internet Explorer. It seems to work faster with Google Chrome. Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2008 at 1:11pm
Wow, that's quite a catalog of products! 
Are you using a dynamic or static menu? - If it's a dynamic menu I'd definitely recommend switching to a static version for a menu of that size.
I also noticed that the panel with the menu resizes a couple of times as the page is loaded. If you pre-define the width it will improve the rendering speed a little as well as the browser knows where to render the menu before it then attempts to add the other parts of the page and saves it from redrawing the menu area.

The total page weight is around 300K - of which a large part of the HTML weight is the menu (approx 2000 of 3450 lines on the page I examined). Images are fine, well compressed.

NorthernBead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthernBead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2008 at 2:26pm
I am using static for the side navigation menu. That's a great tip about the pre-defining the menu width - it's always annoyed me. Where in the header.asp (if that's where the change could be made) would I make those changes? I tried defining pcLeft and pcCenter, but didn't see a change.

I have been communicating with Matt at EarlyImpact regarding the problem and are working on a solution.

Edited by NorthernBead - 09-November-2008 at 2:33pm
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2008 at 4:03pm
We would also recommend dramatically reducing the number of products shown in each category page. To do so, reduce the number of "Rows per Page" in the Control Panel display settings. Loading as many products as you are right now definitely slows down the way the catalog is browsed as the browser keeps busy rendering lots of content and loading dozens of images.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2008 at 3:58am
Hi,
  Try setting width:170px; for pcLeftCatLinks and probably pcLeftStoreLinks as well in pcHeaderFooter.css.

Edited by Hamish - 10-November-2008 at 4:02am
NorthernBead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthernBead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2008 at 7:57am
Thanks Hamish - tried implementing that but I seemed to make it worse - it looks like there is something else on the page that's formatting to an auto size and then the other cells reformat to fit on the page. I'll look to see if a cell above pcLeft is auto.

Aha - it seems to work if I just adjust the pixel size in the css and leave the header.asp as it is!

Edited by NorthernBead - 10-November-2008 at 8:04am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic