ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

USPS Server Issues?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotokirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USPS Server Issues?
    Posted: 08-December-2008 at 5:03pm
Anyone else having trouble getting rates from USPS?

I'm getting lots of "Shipping charges to be determined" orders all of a sudden...and testing it myself I either get the same result or it returns the rate for Priority Flat Rate Box which is an option we don't even offer.

I've got an open support request already, but given the time of the year I figured it wouldn't be such a bad idea to reach out here to see if it's just me or a problem with USPS servers.
Rotofugi Designer Toy Store & Gallery
Chicago > IL > US
http://rotofugi.com
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2008 at 5:10pm
Yes, several ProductCart users have been reporting problems on stores that were retrieving rates from the USPS without any issues until yesterday. We seriously doubt that this problem has anything to do with ProductCart, since all of these stores are reporting that nothing had changed on the hardware/software side.

The issue will likely fix itself as the USPS figures out what is malfunctioning on their side. If it turns out, however, that there is an issue in ProductCart, of course we will address it and update this post accordingly.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
rotokirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotokirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2008 at 5:13pm
Is there a way for us to complain directly to USPS? Or for Early Impact as a developer to do so on our behalf?

Obviously, this isn't a great time for us to have problems.

Edited by rotokirby - 08-December-2008 at 5:13pm
Chicago > IL > US
Stuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2008 at 5:27pm
Hello Rotokirby,

We have also just started experiencing odd behaviour today with USPS realtime rates not being returned at all (definately worked just fine for us over the weekend as I was updating to version 3.5 & tested regularly). I have also noticed the shipping rates being returned from FedEx are taking 3-4 times longer than normal & I suspect this is only because the US postal rate requests are hanging up the process!
rotokirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotokirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2008 at 5:29pm
Yeah...we're ex-Miva users so I checked on their forums as well and lots of people are reporting the same problems.

At least Product Cart handles it better than Miva does (a lot of Miva users are reporting that it just crashes when people try to check out).

So....props to EI! Boo to the good ol' USPS!
Chicago > IL > US
Stuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2008 at 7:55pm
Yep, however, I have experienced the same thing at times in the past (as in communication server hickups) even with FedEx & UPS servers not returning rates. And even with the PayPal Pro gateway for that matter. Fortunately these hickups are few & far between these days and are typically short lived issues. Certainly money is on our side in these cases, if  for example, you consider the amount of money the US Postal service is loosing for every minute they are unable to return shipping rates! Wink
karlclayton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlclayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2008 at 9:50pm
We have experienced the same problem with USPS.  This bring up another problem.  We have created a custom shipping setup with increasing rates for units ordered but because I had to remove the USPS settings from the control panel to get it to work properly we cannot print USPS labels anymore.  We have the enable the USPS settings to print labels but then this stops customers from placing orders.  You should not need to define a USPS method so you can print labels.
Karl
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2008 at 4:26am
See : http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/shipping-general_settings
You can set the shipping so that if USPS returns no rates the customer can still complete the purchase.
rotokirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotokirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2008 at 1:05pm
Hey Hamish....yeah, we've got it set that way, but it's a real pain to have to contact customers and have them pay separate shipping. Not to mention the orders we'll just lose because customers are frustrated.

It's been over 24 hours and the good folks at the USPS still haven't managed a fix to the problem. We can't just turn off USPS until it's fixed because we have a lot of international customers whose only options are USPS and we'll just lose those orders altogether if we turn it off.

I realize that this isn't Early Impact's problem. But it's frustrating none-the-less!
Chicago > IL > US
Stuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2008 at 1:44pm
Our site is receiving US Postal rates fine today.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic