ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Add to Cart link to page

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Add to Cart link to page
    Posted: 30-December-2008 at 3:15pm
I am trying to see how I can make PC stay at the same page (viewCategories.asp?idCategory=?) that the add to cart button (submit button) is at instead of opening up the viewCart.asp. I don't want to have our customers click 'Continue Shopping' button...
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2008 at 3:18pm
fire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2008 at 4:28pm
Looks like a nice add on Greg...But is this not a easy change? Should just be a matter of changing the action in the form? In this case the form refers to instPrd.asp. If you open up this page in editor it should be a matter of changing the redirecting page which is set to viewCart.asp. so the page link should look something like this: 'viewCategories.asp?idCategory=53'
My problem is figuring out how to include dynamically the last part of the link for each category page ?idCategory=53'

I assume that I would need to find the right snippet of code that generates the idcategory page #?
Or would this be done better with Javascript? Ideas?

Edited by fire - 30-December-2008 at 5:36pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2008 at 7:07pm
I guess it depends upon how you value your time.  You may find it instructive, with regard to  your understanding of PC's internals, to work through this.  But my code supports not only the product detail page, but the category, home, specials, new arrivals and featured products pages.   My guess is that you will be saving money by purchasing a well-tested script with install instructions, but hey - maybe you have a lot of time on your hands and like coding.  Have fun!

BTW, might want to have a peek at instprd.asp to see what it does before you decide how easy this is going to be. 
fire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2008 at 1:19pm
I understand where you are coming from Greg...If someone is looking for a great add on then check out Greg's it does look good. And I may just do this but for now...I do have some time to spare and would like to familiarize myself with this cart. I am new to asp... As stated before I have changed the page that the button redirects to --from viewcart.asp to viewcategories.asp but wanted to figure out how individual pages could be called up.

I think the end link should look something like this
viewCategories.asp?<%=intIdCategory%>=intIDCategory%>
but I think that because the variables are not in the instprd.asp file this link will not work
 Is there anyone else who could point me in the right direction?
Are there any good tutorials out that could help me understand the framework of asp and productcart?

Edited by fire - 31-December-2008 at 1:25pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2008 at 1:43pm
I'm just going to add that while you might get this working, by doing so you will have crippled the shopping functionality of all other "add to cart" buttons in the site. 

The path you are heading down assumes that shoppers may only purchase product from the category page.  If you have any other page in the site, such as home.asp or viewprd.asp where items may be purchased, and instprd.asp has been altered to point to the category page, it's going to be a disaster.

Imagine the surprise and confusion when a shopper clicks "buy" from one of those other pages, and assuming you work out which category that product is associated with and redirect them to that category's page, they will wonder why they landed there.   I challenge you to show me another store that features such functionality.  Your visitors will look at this odd functionality, lose faith in the store, and shop elsewhere.

Even if you only show products via category pages, you are locking down your options for future changes and excluding the usability of the bulk of PC's shopping pages.

I rest my peace, and wish you good luck.
fire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2009 at 11:40pm
BTW I did figure out how to do this.
nurvserver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurvserver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2009 at 12:04am
Please post how you figured it out fire! This forum is always like this, a person ask for help greg or another senior comes in and says nothing helpful or tries to sell you some BS and then nobody posts the fix they found.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2009 at 6:19am
Hi Nurvserver,
      I couldn't disagree more and I think you will find the vast majority find this forum a useful place to ask questions and get answers, especially if you play nice.
Sometimes the best answer IS to direct someone to an add-on that costs some $.  I have seen the code Greg wrote and I can state for certain that it's not a simple patch but a complete solution which would have taken a good knowledge of ProductCart. 
IMHO the time you save re-inventing the wheel and the quality of the solution makes this add-on worthwhile if it meets your/ your clients business needs.

Edited by Hamish - 13-January-2009 at 6:21am
fire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2009 at 1:12pm
To an extent I agree with you nurvserver. But Hamish is right as well sometimes the best way is to direct people to a good add on. Greg is a good guy and he knows a lot more then most people about PC. If you look he is active in the forum, which is good for all of us. His solution probably is the best. I would like to have more "experts" around answering questions and in general helping out. You have to understand though that PC developers are doing this full time this is how the make their bread and butter. However after saying that I do think that there should be more focus on the customers needs by PC in the forums. It is my opinion the forums do need to be more helpful. PC has ability to be the best cart around. Take a look at a crapy cart like osecommers forums and you will see that they are more helpful - almost to much. Don't get me wrong Hamish does a great job. I just wish there was more of a can do attitude and here is how to do it. Or here is what you may want to try. Or that there was more knowledgeable ASP programmers around. I totally understand PC wanting to help developers get clients (it creates a healthy environment) but PC as has to understand (and they do generally) that we are their clients. I for one do not want to pay for every little thing but willing to if I need to.

In regards to the solution it may not be best for you... I just wanted to redirect to the page the person was on. Out of respect for Greg I will PM you my solution which was not that hard BTW.

Edited by fire - 13-January-2009 at 2:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic