ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding More than one Custom Field Value

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spectre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding More than one Custom Field Value
    Posted: 30-March-2009 at 5:26pm
Is there a way to add more than one value to a custom field?

As an example:
I have "Color" as my custom field and a product that has multiple colors associated with it but I can only add one color. I need to add several colors to one product.

Can this be done?
netprofits View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2009 at 8:41pm
If I am understanding correctly, you need to allow colors for different properties of the product. The customer can choose a different color for each of several different properties. If this is the case, you're best choice is probably to use product options vs. custom fields. So you would have a different option for each property and the customer chooses a different color from the option drop down for each different property. PC allows multiple options for each product and each option can have similar or different attributes.

Do you have  sample site and product so we can better understand what you are trying to do?
NetProfits Internet Consulting

Certified ProductCart Developer

Our Site
spectre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spectre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2009 at 11:07am
I was trying to use the drill down navigation with the product but since I have 1 main color and the product comes in other colors it does not show in that drill down. Just that first value for the field.

We are in the beginning stages but here is a test site url.
http://www.meesdistributors.com/catalog/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=5

If you see on the left we have the drill down or narrow by filter. My hope was that if the product was offered in multiple colors it would show there but since I can only assign 1 value it is limiting. I will check out the product options but if after seeing the example you have another thought let me know. Thank!

icomm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icomm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2009 at 8:28am
Spectre, I'm in the exact same situation as you.  We have a client that has the need to show the Topics of artwork they sell.  If a piece of art has Fruit and Birds in it, then the prodocut would have those 2 topics (Custom Search Values) associated to it.  I talked to Early Impact and they said it can be down in the database, but we would have to customize the Control Panel to allow us to add more than one value and customize the widget to display the choices properly.  They considered it for the 4.0 version but said they can't right now.  We will spend a little time to see how much coding it would take to customize their code.  If we find a solution, I will post it here for you.  If you find a solution, please let me know. Thanks.
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2009 at 8:41am
We also have a client who needs this.  They sell apparel.  A garment may be red and black, and when a search is performed on either color, that garment needs to appear among the search results.  I have not taken the time to dig through the logic and determine what the effort might be.

Dan or Icomm, if you come up with a solution, please let me know. 

Thanks.
icomm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icomm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2009 at 9:56am
Greg: If I find something, I will make sure to post it. My issue is I told the client this can be done because I read the manual and the Wiki page, but there was no mention of this limitation. So I don't know if the client will pay for our customization yet.  I think ProductCart should consider enhancing this current functionality to make it be unlimited values per product Custom Search Field.  I think many of us would use it.
spectre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spectre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2009 at 12:04pm
I actually called and had my partner call to confirm this could be done and was told it was part of the current version. This was one of the main factors we chose this for our client.

But after getting into it...it appears you cant which doesn't make much sense as that is the point of our purchase. Someone at productCart needs to address this issue.
slinc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 5:01pm
This is really a problem for us as well. I just spent all day upgrading to 3.5 just for this feature only to find we can not use it because of this limitation. Not sure I really want to hack on it for several days either.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic