ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Make Gift Certificate Information Required

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotokirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Make Gift Certificate Information Required
    Posted: 29-December-2012 at 2:27pm
We've run into a bit of an issue lately with electronic gift certificates.

It would appear that the Recipient Name, Email Address and Message are not required fields during the checkout, so if the buyer skips those, no certificate gets emailed.

I'm assuming it would be pretty easy to make those required fields....has anyone done the leg work to make that happen?

Rotofugi Designer Toy Store & Gallery
Chicago > IL > US
http://rotofugi.com
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2012 at 3:31pm
Hi, If the buyer skips those fields the Gift Certificate is sent to them in the email when the order is processed, just after the total. Example :-

Subtotal:     $45.18
                                                 =====================
                                                     Total:     $45.18

==============================
========================================
The following Gift Certificate was purchased with this order:
Gift Certificate Name: $30 Gift Certificate

Gift Certificate Code: l6e4j82wnlkzq5q

rotokirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotokirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2012 at 3:24pm
That's something I guess, but it seems like it would make a lot more sense to just require the information IMHO.
Chicago > IL > US
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2012 at 3:33pm
Hi,  Leaving it optional means the customer can choose to deliver it now, or send it on themselves later. I'm guessing that on many occasions customers are buying them to give as a present, so immediate delivery would usually not be desirable unless it is being purchased on the appropriate day.   
rotokirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotokirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2012 at 3:56pm
Then perhaps that should somehow be made clearer to the customer... we had a rash of gift certificate related problems this holiday season that I'd frankly like to avoid.

I'll have to look at the messages and see if we can't, at least, make it clear that if you choose not to enter a recipient you'll get the code because our customers aren't understanding that, and because it's just tacked onto the end of the confirmation email people aren't seeing it, apparently.
Chicago > IL > US
rotokirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotokirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2012 at 4:07pm
I've edited the relevant portion in the languages.asp to make it clearer, but I still think it needs more attention. 

We'll continue to offer electronic Gift Certificates as it is a nice service to our customers, but the system in place currently really leaves a lot to be desired. 

I'd love to see some attention paid to Gift Certificates in the upcoming releases, perhaps to at least notify the store owner if the buyer chose not to enter a recipient, that way we can follow up.

Edited by rotokirby - 30-December-2012 at 4:19pm
Chicago > IL > US
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2013 at 4:43pm
My two sense on this, having run into a lot of user confusion (both customers and merchants) vis a vis our HTML Formatted Emails add-on, which formats these GC emails to look like gift certificates, is that this section of the checkout should suggest that the user either email it to themselves, or to their recipient.

However, the biggest improvement would be to enable admin to send out a GC email if the customer had skipped that on checkout. That is, the option for admin to re-send the email only shows if the customer had actually used that option on checkout. If they hadn't, then admin has no way to shoot out a GC email to anyone (only way for them to do it is to create a new order for the customer -- with all of the headaches that brings, such has having to void the original GC, etc.).
BradleyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradleyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2013 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Sean@WMS Sean@WMS wrote:

However, the biggest improvement would be to enable admin to send out a GC email if the customer had skipped that on checkout. That is, the option for admin to re-send the email only shows if the customer had actually used that option on checkout. If they hadn't, then admin has no way to shoot out a GC email to anyone (only way for them to do it is to create a new order for the customer -- with all of the headaches that brings, such has having to void the original GC, etc.).

Agreed, we just dealt with this issue again today.

BRAD

P.S. I just registered for a forum account today and after 10+ attempts I think I have determined the Security Code must be entered with lowercase letters, this is opposite of the on screen instructions, which indicate the letters and numbers must be entered as they appear.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2013 at 4:16pm
Hi Bradley,

I just had a look under the hood here and it turns out this is very easy to work around.

To enable the control panel to send out a gift certificate email when the customer did not use this option while checking out, open /pcadmin/OrdDetails.asp and find the following:
if not rsGCObj.eof then
Gc_ReName=rsGCObj("pcOrd_GcReName")
Gc_ReEmail=rsGCObj("pcOrd_GcReEmail")
Gc_ReMsg=rsGCObj("pcOrd_GcReMsg")

Immediately after this, end the if argument so that it now reads:
if not rsGCObj.eof then
Gc_ReName=rsGCObj("pcOrd_GcReName")
Gc_ReEmail=rsGCObj("pcOrd_GcReEmail")
Gc_ReMsg=rsGCObj("pcOrd_GcReMsg")
end if

Then remove or comment out the original "end if" down here:
<%'end if
END IF
'***************************************
'* END - GIFT CERTIFICATE INFO
'***************************************

Obviously there would not have been an original message, so admin would need to use the option to "resend" the email with a new message.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2013 at 5:43pm
I'll add an enhancement request so that the developers take a proper look at this issue.
Brad, thanks for the note about the forum sign-up - I'll investigate.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic