FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew QuickBooks Add-on In Development

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2008 at 11:58am
Hi Alan,

Sorry I didn't answer your question yet.

The first feature we built was a very detailed logging and debugging console.  We feel its really important to be able to track down errors.

The tool can actually run on a schedule automatically. So it will definitely not export that same order twice.
bgdoxtek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2008 at 12:18pm
Any way we can get a feature list to see what's coming?  Alternatively, I know a lot of development teams write the documentation/help file first.  If it was available and you were willing to post it, that would be great.

CardinalArmory View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2008 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

CardinalArmory,

The new Add-On will handle BTO extensively.

Please describe to me exactly how you have your items setup in QuickBooks (e.g. Assemblies, Individual Inventory Items, etc.).  The more feedback we get from you the better the release will be!
Have a look at: http://cardinalarmory.com/  Under "6.8mm AR-15 upper assemblies" you will see a category of "Custom 6.8 AR-15 uppers"  Each one in that category is a BTO product.  It is a product made up of sub-assemblies.  I make very extensive use of conflict management, and this has given me a competitive edge.

The top level product is a holding place for an assembly charge, that's all.  Every component in the customizable list is an item or assembly in my QB item list.

When I download an order, I need to see each line item in the customized list of parts so that the individual item parts and assemblies can be removed from inventory and increment COGS correctly.

I would like it to work so that the transfer simply provide the price of each item.  In other words, the +/- change in price from the standard BTO assembly (the way the customer sees it) is NOT the right way to enter the item into the QB sales receipt.  It should simply list the price of each item in the customizable tiem list.  The total will be the same.  That way if my items or subassemblies are linked to different sales and COGS accounts, they will be incremented and decremented correctly (the price/cost of the part.)

If the price of the BTO product comes across as a lump sum total for the top-level item (the BTO product), we will need to edit each individual line item and check that the total matches.  If the items come across with the regular online or list price, then the order will need little or no editing.

Also, I manage my inventory with QB, not ProductCart.  In PC I set all products to ignore inventory levels.  I do this because many products are assemblies, and having a specific quantity on-hand does not reflect the fact that we may be able to assemble a sub-assembly in minutes.  We also have one-to-two weeks to build our products, and in that time more items can arrive from vendors.  Having inventory levels synchronized between QB and PC would make the system too jittery.   Better (IMO) to leave it alone and let the value of the inventory be managed in one place, QB.  Let a customer order an item regardless, if we are out-of-stock for a period of time we will inform the customer and ask him what he would like us to do.  I don't want to turn a customer's order away for a very temporary out-of-stock situation.

I am also concerned that synchronization be controlled.  Limit synchronization to only a carefully selected list of items, and provide a means to insure that in case of conflict I can decide which will override which.

Also, I have three or four times as many inventory items in QB as I do in ProductCart, and it will stay that way as long as I have subassembly parts which are not sold to customers (i.e. forever.)  Don't assume that every item needs to be synchronized in each direction.  When I set up last nights QB download experiment I was surprised to see no mechanism for identifying what parts needed to be synchronized before I got to the manual synchronization process. 

I was in the computer business for 25 years before starting Cardinal Armory.  I am sure this can be done well.  Just please make sure you don't deliver it before a LOT of testing.

I would be glad to be a beta tester as long as I can get phone support as-needed.

- Tim

hometownworks View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2008 at 2:07pm
I have a client that is ready to input all of his 15,000 items into Quickbooks (he hired summer help).  In anticipation of the new add-on, shall I use the current method recommended to add my items to Quickbooks?  Or is there some other methodology?  I'm starting with a clean slate but with this many products, I don't want to have to redo anything.
Hometown Works Website Development
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2008 at 3:35pm
hometownworks,

It depends on your time line.  The old Add-on does not import 15,000 at one time very well.  The new Add-on is designed to do it in small batches (but automatically and painless). However, we will not have the Beta out for at least a month or so. Manual entry will surely work, but will take awhile.  Sorry I cannot be of more help.
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2008 at 3:37pm
cardinal armory,

Thank you for your feedback.  That is what we are looking for... very specific examples.  I'll post back with more details later, but generally speaking we have you covered.

The only question I have for you right now is do you build the assemblies when you get the order, or well in advance?
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2008 at 3:41pm
bgdoxtek,

Earlier in this thread I posted a features list. Feel free to take a look and send us your feedback.  The documentation is in progress on the ProductCart Wiki.  However, the particular section is not ready for public viewing.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2008 at 3:44pm
Is the data about the 15,000 products already in place somewhere, anywhere? Are they already in ProductCart? If so it will be almost certainly possible & much more efficient than starting from scratch, to convert the data into a format ready for importing into QB (with or without the add-on).  It may well need additional information adding , but anything to start from is great.
A google on "quickbooks data import" gives 148k hits, so there's plenty of info out there about it,  but most important is making sure the data is clean and accurate.  Getting summer helpers, or whomever, to key in 15,000 products from scratch will give a relatively high number of errors. Some googling threw up a figure of 1 - 1.5% as a typical error rate, although with no information as to the type of data being entered. At 1% thats 150 records that will be incorrect, so quality checking will be important.
Just my 2cents :-)
CardinalArmory View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2008 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

cardinal armory,

Thank you for your feedback.  That is what we are looking for... very specific examples.  I'll post back with more details later, but generally speaking we have you covered.

The only question I have for you right now is do you build the assemblies when you get the order, or well in advance?
While subassemblies (i.e. barrels, forend kits, etc.) are on-the-shelf, the custom upper assemblies are all truly built-to-order.  The beauty of PC-BTO with Conflict Management is it gets me away from the desk and phone, custom-configuring and pricing every possible combination of AR-15 upper assemblies that my customers could possibly want us to build.  I would guess that there are over 10,000 possible ways we could assemble the BTO products.  And the CM module makes them all real and buiild-able.  I could not do this without BTO/CM

Even the "Standard" upper assemblies are built after the order is received, and they are BTO products in PC.

In other words, I use PC-BTO/CM 100%.

- Tim
bgdoxtek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2008 at 4:11pm
Will the add-on source code be provided so that we can make our own modifications?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic