ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Template based pages

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Template based pages
    Posted: 31-May-2006 at 5:17am
What I would like to see are that the pages are based on templates. Now only the header and footer are 'editable' but how about changing the layout of the checkout page for example? I know it is not something that most of you require but for the designers out there this will be a blessing.
Every page will have its own template.
Aeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2006 at 7:39am
I second that.
How about some respose????
One more thing.

Seperate the layout and formatting from the functions. Make sure all functions ever churn out is data and leave the layout to templates.
I'm new to Product Cart and I was asked to customize the design and it's a total nightmare. bits of table codes everywhere and nowhere, mixed into loops in unreadable uncommented stupid ASP code.

So do us designers a small favor, make it totally controllable by CSS, XHTML-Compliant, truly customizable (it isn't now). Being just able to edit header.asp and footer.asp is NOT customizable!!!
Louis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2006 at 11:37am
Even though you're saying it kind of blunt, you're right! I have, however, worked with PC before and if it would have what you just said, it would be the best shopping cart script out there.
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2006 at 2:52pm

We have spent several months reorganizing the code in many areas of ProductCart for version 3. We hope that you will find this version a big step forward in the direction that you described above.

• ProductCart v3 uses CSS
  • We have separated a lot of the interface code from the logic behind it
  • We have created a "template-based" design for many pages. For example, the product details page now uses one of three templates.

The bottom line is that when you have several programmers involved over the years into a project that comprises hundreds of thousands of lines of code, it is hard to output beautiful, perfectly commented code all the time, and still meet new feature requests rapidly and without substantially raising prices.

By the way: the "stupid ASP code" mentioned by Aeon above is used by thousands of successfull e-commerce stores around the world, many of them selling millions of dollars of products and services over the Internet

The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
saipankid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saipankid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2006 at 10:50pm
ASP (vbscript) is not so stupid.
Perhaps, ProductCart is alittle (grin) due to the use of cdbl(), sparse remarks, and minimal error handling. (like expecting a valid record to exist when doing a query)... but, alot of programmers have created many wonderful applications with ASP.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic