ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time to move to SQL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time to move to SQL
    Posted: 25-August-2009 at 4:18pm
When I first opened my website I wasn't sure how things were going to go. Now that we are up and running, I realize I made a mistake in using MS Access as my database.

I currently have approx 450 customers, 1300 products, and about 400 orders in the database.

I have the option of using MS SQL 2005 for $10 per month for 300MB with Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Service for an additional $5 per month

or

MS SQL 2008 for $10 per month for 500MB.

Both versions include tools for backing up, shrinking, restoring, etc. in the control panel. 

Any suggestions on which would be the better to utilize?

Thanks!

Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2009 at 5:07pm
Please recognize that you will need assistance in performing this upgrade.  MS-Access has an upsize wizard that allows *some* databases to be upgraded to MSSQL, but that is not successful for the PC database.

1 - Do not go with SQL 2008.  Compatibilty issues have been identified and SQL 2005 works just fine.  Unless you have some sophisticated requirements, you should not pay for the reporting service.

2 - Mark Shipp mark@cognecy.com is the only person I trust to do this.  He is good, he is efficient, and uhh, well, he's actually the ONLY person I KNOW who does this.  heh heh.  Hey, he's the only, the best, and that's good enough for me.  (Hey Mark, about that commission program we were discussing - lol).

Edited by Greg Dinger - 25-August-2009 at 5:07pm
cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2009 at 6:32pm

Okay, my ears start twitching when someone mentions “Database” in the forum (ha ha).  Thank you for the accolade Greg .. much appreciated (your commission is in the mail didn't you get it already? LoL).

Seriously though, Greg offers good advice in that you should not attempt to use the upsizing wizards with a ProductCart DB.  I have seen many people try and inevitably it always ends up in disaster and they end up calling me in the end anyway to clean up and repair their DB. 

Additionally - although it can be done, and as advise from a ProductCart SQL Database guru (that would be me), I do not currently recommend SQL2008 "yet".   I say that with some reservation as I have seen a few stores work fine on it but I see a much larger percentage have some minor issues with compatibility.  It really depends on how the hosting/datacenter company has set that server up, how much control they give you over settings, and how well it is managed.  SQL2005 is hands down the best DB server architecture Micro$oft has put out (after a few service packs anyway).  I have no doubt that it will be succeeded by SQL2008 in time.  Not to worry though, the SQL2005 architecture has many more years of life in it. 

Additional info regarding Databases (for those that just cannot get enough reading in):

If you are at all interested (watch out when I get started typing it always turns into a novel) ...  Here are the summarized details on 2005 vs 2008 compared with older versions and the ProductCart DB: 

The ProductCart SQL database as you know has grown over the years from a DB with 60-80 tables to over 180 tables currently in the standard version (without add-ons).  If we go back in time before SQL2005 to when people were stuck on SQL7 and at that time, the new SQL2000, the database architecture contained a lot of 'text' and 'image' datatypes.  The only way to encompass large amounts of text for descriptions and such was to use the [ntext] datatype.  This was the only option and it works very well (you will find ntext datatypes all over the ProductCart SQL DB) - however, in the current world it is also part of the problem.  Why, well it comes down to sorting and grouping data and just overall speeding things up ... you cannot sort group, or search on ‘text’ or ‘image’ datatypes (e.g. ntext).

A few SQL2005 service packs ago, Micro$oft made the announcement that it wanted to turn off support for all ‘text’ and ‘image’ datatypes and released an upgrade that introduced new replacements:  instead of ‘ntext’ and ‘text’, we can now use ‘nvarchar(MAX)’ and ‘varchar(MAX)’.  There were others introduced but this is the most critical as it relates to ProductCart.  In essence, "ntext" was old school now while ‘nvarchar(MAX)’ is the state-of-the-art “new school".  

Consequently, the use of ntext in SQL2005 and 2008 is also ProductCart's Achilles heel as it keeps the DB (from a DBA's perspective) running slower than previous versions of SQL (especially on long queries and scripts … recall you cannot sort, group, or search on text and image datatypes).  I have done some tests privately on my own demo store replacing all the offending datatypes and not only do the speed benchmarks go through the roof but the overall average database size is reduced as well.  Sound great right?  Well, hold on a moment…

So here is the Question I am sure you are begging to ask: 

Why doesn't Early Impact just change all the ntext fields to nvarchar(MAX)? 

Well that is a bit easier to say than do when you consider that ProductCart has literally thousands of installations all over the world and believe it or not there are a good number of users still using SQL2000 and even SQL7 (NOTE:  the nvarchar(MAX) datatype is not a part of or recognized by SQL2000 or previous versions).  So, in order to keep the database backwards compatible and upgradeable, there is really no other easy choice right now but to keep the datatype structure the way it is.  VERY IMORTANT:  this is not exclusive to Early Impact ... there are literally thousands of database applications out there that are facing the same challenges.

Now with SQL2008, Micro$oft has edged a bit closer to what they threatened to do in SQL2005 and that is “turning off all support for text and image datatypes”.  This is where the quirkiness in SQL2008 as it relates to ProductCart comes in.  The only way to ‘really’ get it to work well, on 2008 is to run your database in SQL2005 compatibility mode (say what???).

I do not know about you but if it takes compatibility mode to handle text and image datatypes properly, and SQL2005 is still available, and will be for many years to come, and SQL2005 is tried, true and tested ... then I choose to stick with putting my ProductCart Database on SQL2005.

Edited by cognecy - 25-August-2009 at 6:56pm
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
Hosting/Design/Customization/Database Migration
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2009 at 9:37pm
Some additional info straight from the horses mouth ...

SQL Server 2008 Books Online (July 2009)
ntext, text, and image (Transact-SQL)

Same article listed under SQL 90 (SQL2005) dated November 2008

Just a word to the wise that Micro$oft absolutely has intentions to remove the text and image data types from both SQL2005 as well as SQL2008 (what they state as "all future versions").  

This means that some drastic changes in ProductCart Database architecture will need to occur pretty soon.  On the up side, once these changes are made, and after some testing, I will likely give my endorsement of SQL2008 for use with ProductCart.

Edited by cognecy - 25-August-2009 at 9:39pm
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
Hosting/Design/Customization/Database Migration
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2009 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by lelady lelady wrote:

When I first opened my website I wasn't sure how things were going to go. Now that we are up and running, I realize I made a mistake in using MS Access as my database.

I currently have approx 450 customers, 1300 products, and about 400 orders in the database.

Hi Lelady,

Not that I would condone running any significant web based application on an Access db, but I'm just curious what limitations you found. Honestly, this is really small potatoes (no offence), so unless you had mad traffic adding to cart but not going to checkout, I'm really currious what limitations you found here.

I would expect that at this level the limitations would be with the server, not the application or the database. That is, as Access is a file, it can only do one transaction at a time, meanwhile it locks the file for a split second with a .ldb -- I've seen that get stuck on some servers and never release. Another common issue on older servers (< Win2K3) and depending somewhat on hosting control panels is that sites running Access on a shared surver can experience common issues when one of those sites has an issue with Access if they are not all "quaranteened" into their own application pools. Finally, every now and again an Access db just gets corrupted and needs to have a compact and repair run on it.

I'm just curious what you could describe about the limitations you hit with Access as this level.

Meanwhile you should absolutely pursue upsizing to MS SQL -- any version would be better than Access.
lelady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2009 at 3:59pm
Mark & Greg - you guys are AWESOME!

Mark, I am one of those that just can't get enough reading in! Thank you for all the information - I laughed because I was wondering why doesn't Early Impact just change all the ntext fields to nvarchar(MAX)?

I'm going to sit down and look at the links you posted tonight, you make some good points, and it was folks like you I was looking for answers from.

Thanks again!

Sean -

To answer your questions....

When I started this site I was putting my little toe in the pool to test the water....

Access I knew, so I could do pretty much everything myself. I never said limitations....I said I'd made a mistake.

I want to go bigger with my website and get more serious about ecommerce. Why change later? I think now, while I'm smaller it is a better time before I invest a bunch of money in advertising and an assistant to insert products into the site.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2009 at 8:15pm
Hi lelady,

Thanks for filling that in. I see I misunderstood what you meant by having made a mistake starting off on Access.

You are definitely making the right decision, from what I gather here.
Uniforms guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uniforms guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2009 at 12:28am
Hello Sean & Mark,
 So with MS SQL, does it need to be compacted & repaired religiously like Access? Or do I need to refresh it once in a while?
Thank you in advance,
An Access user (try to be an Ex-user 8-D),
Mario
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2009 at 12:38am
Your hosting company should have regular maintenance tasks established for the equivalent activities. These tasks are managed within SQL server, and you likely do not  have permissions to make such choices yourself if you are in a shared hosting environment.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2009 at 3:40am
Originally posted by Uniforms guy Uniforms guy wrote:

Hello Sean & Mark,
 So with MS SQL, does it need to be compacted & repaired religiously like Access? Or do I need to refresh it once in a while?
Thank you in advance,
An Access user (try to be an Ex-user 8-D),
Mario

Like Greg said ;-)

A good host will have a maintenance routine established. You won't have to do anything. Then they'll also back the nightly result to another storage devise/location.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic