ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Add-on's > Apparel Add-on
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Required attribute

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Required attribute
    Posted: 06-February-2010 at 12:34pm
I am missing something. Can anyone tell me where I set the cart to require an option be chosen or not require an option be chosen?

I have some products where an option must be selected and others that can use just the parent products with options as well, Optional. Right now my cart is not letting me add the parent product without selecting an option. I know it is probably right in front of me but I am going CRAZY trying to find it. HELP????

I am using v3.51 with the apparel add-on.
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2010 at 1:01pm
it's a little tricky as you have discovered.

When you assign an options group to a product, you land on this page:  "Modify Product Options".   At the top of the page you will see "Required Option"

Carebear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2010 at 1:25pm
I must be completely blind. I just created a fake product to try out and when I assigned the option and ended up on the the page "Modify Product Options", but I don't see anywhere that says "Required Option". No check box or menu item or anything.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2010 at 1:38pm
ok, try this.  Start here:

Manage Option Group - modOptGrpa.asp

Click "add to multiple products".  That takes you to the search screen.  Locate a product to which the option(s) are to be assigned.

Mark the checkbox for such a product, click continue.  Alert popup asks "are you sure".  Click ok.

Required Option will be on that page.

Carebear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2010 at 2:27pm
OK. I found it. But it still didn't work. It still demands I make a selection when I want to add just the parent item to my cart.

The apparel add-on sucks. Anyone who wants to have an easy way to separate out options should know ahead of time, it is difficult, not intuitive, plain old cumbersome and the quantity discounts and reward points just don't work with it. Buyer Beware.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2010 at 2:44pm
On re-reading your request, I better understand what you want.  And I don't think you can get the system to do that.

Furthermore, I think your characterization of the Apparel Add-on is inaccurate and unfortunate that you feel that way. 

The mod is brilliant, we have used it for non-apparel applications such as sinks, and I do not agree at all that it is cumbersome.  One must simply take the necessary time to understand it, and if it doesn't do precisely what you want, then hey - it only cost $195. 

ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2010 at 2:56pm
Here at Early Impact we go to great lengths to make ProductCart as functional and intuitive to use as possible. We encourage constructive feedback and criticism from our customers and in fact have built the software based on it, however we expect it to be presented in a professional manner (i.e. we don't appreciate the tone of your message). In addition, it is factually incorrect. The Apparel Add-on does support Quantity Discounts and Reward Points, and most of all the primary purpose of the Add-on is to allow the store owner to keep track of inventory based on each Option Combination. So by definition, it is not possible to purchase the "Parent Product"... only sub products. If you want to add an option called "None" to each Option Group so that the user does not have to select one of the attributes, you can certainly do that, and should refer to the WIKI for further details:

http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/apparel_add-on/apparel_add-on
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2010 at 3:04pm
Venting like that does not resolve problems, even though it can be frustrating at time to get things going.  Sometimes it is better to sleep over it.   Just think there are people here trying to help.  They are users, and they should not get the feeling that they are being complained at.  Greg was trying to help, yet I don't see anything saying that you appreciated his time.   At this point you should consider opening a support ticket.

As for the apparel add on.  I use it, and yes it can be cumbersome, no it is not perfect, and yet it does the job just fine.  No shopping cart is perfect, because every store is different.  Just read this board and you see so many different requests that is can make you dizzy.   As the owner of a site you need to go out there and test drive shopping carts before you buy.  Any good one will have a demo store available.  Here you can play and really narrow down to what fits your need.  I played for over 3 weeks until I choose one.  I've seen prices from 500 to 50,000 dollars.  PC turned out to be the clossest to what I need and the price was really good.  Now it is 4 years later, and I'm glad that I choose PC. 

Also check out each discussion board for shopping carts products out there and read postings.  Are there a lot of complaints or is there really good information posted.  This board has very little complaints and tons of info.

Sorry for throwing this back at you.  I hope you get your add-on working right soon.
Katharina
www.GermanPlaza.com
Carebear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2010 at 2:30pm
Yes, I was immature and venting. I do appreciate Greg's time, thank you Greg for the attention. However I have been posting questions on this forum for several months and it seems very difficult to get a response. Funny how quickly the posts added up after I had my tantrum. If I had gotten responses that quickly to my original questions (Not this thread as Greg was super fast and wonderful on all fronts), maybe it wouldn't have gotten to the tantrum throwing stage.

I apologize for my rudeness. I had reached my limit after spending several hours searching the board before even posting the question and it seemed every time I saw a question asked that I also had, it was unanswered. I understand now that I should "submit a ticket" (three of my least favorite Customer service words in the world) and will not bother posting here again. Thank you all for your help. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2010 at 3:00pm
Why hesitate to post?  If we can answer the questions, we will.  If you don't get an answer, either folks are busy, or we don't have an answer.  Everyone here is happy to help those who play nice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic