ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new site, pages not showing up in google.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new site, pages not showing up in google.
    Posted: 13-March-2010 at 7:15am
Hi All

We have converted our site over to PC and have redirects for every product and category from our old site to the new one all seem to return the correct 301 error, but we have 0 pages from the new site showing up in google.

couple of questions:
1. Does anything special need to be done on the server to properly recognize  the new directory structure of http://www.bmionline.com/store/pc/home.asp

2. is this a correct response to a 301 redirect from google? (This is from webmaster tools fetch as googlebot.)
HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:04:40 GMT
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
Location: http://www.bmionline.com/store/pc/Bridge-To-Adult-Reading---Set-53p1426.htm
Content-Length: 0
Content-Type: text/html
Set-Cookie: ASPSESSIONIDQQCRCSRA=ENDMIEABKPIFIGLKCFJADLPI; path=/
Cache-control: private
Thanks in advance.
Russ
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2010 at 9:56am
I may be missing something but it looks ok from here.  What did you use to accomplish the redirects?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2010 at 1:35pm
Hi Russ,

I'm seeing some 647 PC pages from your site indexed in Google. See:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1C1GGLS_enUS291US306&q=site:www.bmionline.com+www.bmionline.com/store&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2010 at 3:10pm
Hi Russ,
  I'm also seeing the same as Sean.  I don't know how long it is since you switched on the SEO but it looks like the GoogleBot has now visited and the index has now been updated. 
russnj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2010 at 3:26pm
Greg, my website company did the work with the redirects, they are programed some how, because I know there is not a static page for each redirect, that much I know. I could find out if you want.

Sean and Hamish, ok I do see about 10 pages from the new site now, most of the others links are from the old store setup with the product.asp and category.asp links.

Its been 6 days since we went up with the new product cart store, I was hoping things would be flowing over to the new store quicker but at least our page count is going up now.

Do you guys have any suggestions to make things better on my site?

Thank You All!
Russ
whizzinpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizzinpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 1:12pm
maybe move your homepage to the root directory.
http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/how_to/move_home_page_retain_ajax?s[">=root
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 1:16pm
Maybe, but I don't see any reason to do so. From the WIKI article :-

"Not necessary

Moving the home page to the root of your store is not necessary. You can safely and effectively redirect visitors to your store's home page in a search engine friendly manner. Being two levels down from the root of the domain is simply not considered a relevant ranking factor."

cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2010 at 1:20pm
Thank you Hamish for stating that ... you are absolutely correct!   

I have preached this to my own customers for a couple years now. 
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
Hosting/Design/Customization/Database Migration
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
joshs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2010 at 10:27pm
Go into Google Webmaster Tools and you can see where most of the site is.

I believe in situations like yours you can give google the list of 301 redirects.

It is under the site configuration section.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic