ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with Drop Ship Status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with Drop Ship Status
    Posted: 06-April-2010 at 10:12am
I have a problem with the previous order screen that drop shippers see.

Most of our orders have multiple products coming from differerent drop shippers.  This works fine in that the individual drop shippers are individually notified to ship their respective products. 

The problem occurs with the order status that each individual drop shipper sees after shipping their product.  If drop shipper A ships all their products on an order then the status they see in sdsViewPast.asp will still say "partially shipped" all the time that drop shipper B or C etc has not shipped their products on the same order.

It is of no concern to drop shipper A as to whether the drop shipper B or C has shipped their share of the order and this mean that he cannot keep a tidy record on which of his orders HE has only partially shipped.  Is their any way that this status of "partially shipped" and "shipped" can be filtered to the individual drop shippers view.  Our store has only been live for less than a week but this is already causing confusion among our drop shippers.

Thanks
Matt

mattprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2010 at 11:00am
I have just had another drop shipper phone me up to ask why their order is still saying part shipped when they have shipped their product so I tried to look at the code behind sdsViewPast.asp order status myself. Smile
I could only deduce that this it not going to be easy because the only database field for a status of an order is for the order as a whole and not from the perspective of an individual drop shipper.

I do think the drop shippers past orders screen (sdsViewPast.asp) view as it stands is in error because I believe it should give the status from a drop shippers perpective.  I would be grateful if EI could look at this with a view to a possible update in a future revision.

Its beyond my technical ability I am afraid but I am guessing the logic is already somewhere there because during the drop shippers shipping process the "process shipment" button is removed if the drop shipper has shipped all their products.  This same logic would determine whether the status of the order should have a status of pending or shipped in the sdsViewPast.asp.  I am not sure how the pending shipment status could be obtained (i.e when a drop shipper has only part shipped their own products regardless of whether there are other products on the order) but at the very least I think a drop shippers status telling them whether their order is still pending or shipped is better than the current information.  I.e a shipped or not shipped status for each drop shipper is better than a confusing status that tells them whether the overall order is shipped, not shipped or pending.

Sorry if I have'nt made myself understood.

Regards
Matt

Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2010 at 11:11am
Hi Matt,
  The order has just one shipping status, but I think your point is valid - It's strange it hasn't come up before, but I'm guessing most drop shippers rely on their own systems to track the staus of the orders they have received. I'll take a look and most likely get it added to the features wish list.

Edited by Hamish - 07-April-2010 at 11:16am
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2010 at 12:41pm
Hi,
  Please raise a support ticket as we believe we can create a fix for this easily.
Please include FTP details in the ticket as we will need them.
mattprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2010 at 1:22pm
Hi Hamish,

Support issue raised.  Many thanks, I really appreciate this. 

Matt

DebbieID View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DebbieID Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2010 at 2:17pm
I also have received complaints from confused dropshippers about this issue.  Can the fix be posted?  I'd like to implement it also.
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2010 at 8:01pm
Debbie,

if the objective is simply to show "Shipped" instead of "Partially Shipped" on the orders summary page shown to the drop-shipper, then open the file pc/sds_viewPast.asp and locate the line:

Case 7: response.write dictLanguage.Item(Session("language")&"_sds_viewpast_7")

Replace it with...
Case 7: response.write dictLanguage.Item(Session("language")&"_sds_viewpast_4")

Edited by earlyimp - 11-April-2010 at 8:02pm
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
mattprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2010 at 4:19am
The above solution only works when the customer's order contains just products for one drop shipper.  If the customer has ordered products from multiple drop shippers or the order contains a mixture of dropship products and non-dropship products then the above fix can cause more confusion.  This is because the status of an order is seen from the overall order status and not from the filtered perspective of the individual drop shipper.

If, as exampled above, a customer orders one drop ship item and one non drop ship item and the store owner ships his non drop ship item nice and quickly then the dropshipper will see a status of his (as yet not shipped) product as either :-
a) Partially Shipped (before the Early Impact code change above)
or
b) Shipped (after the Early Impact code change above)

Both statuses are incorrect but I think the first (with the original sds_viewPast.asp code) is less damaging.  This is because it still assumes that an action needs to be perfomed by the drop shipper.

As part of a fix I do not think it is necessarily important to show whether a drop shipper himself has partially shipped products (because any shipped products on an order are correctly disabled when the drop shipper click on the shipping wizard) but for me it is important for a each drop shipper to see at a glance whether he has any outstanding orders for his own products.  I.e a status of either 'pending' or 'shipped' against each order would suffice.

Thanks
Matt

Edited by mattprice - 13-April-2010 at 8:45am
DebbieID View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DebbieID Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2010 at 8:33am
I would agree with you, Matt.  It will cause more confusion for the dropshipper to see a status of shipped on an order that he still needs to fill because another dropshipper has already filled their portion of the order.

Assuming an order has products from two dropshippers, it would be ideal if the dropshipper's status changed to shipped for each dropshipper when they shipped their portion of the order, but remained as processed for the other dropshippers until they also shipped their portion.  The overall status of the order in the control panel should continue to work the way it does now.
mattprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2010 at 8:44am
Debbie,  you described the problem in your last post more clearly than I have achieved in a whole thread.  I have a tendancy to ramble. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic