ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

aps.net upgrade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir_Pafrro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: aps.net upgrade?
    Posted: 10-May-2010 at 12:40am
I was just curious if there were any plans on upgrading the software to asp.net

We have built up quite a database on our site and I'm adding to it everyday. Page load times are getting slower and slower and it's mainly due to the site being coded in an old language. Are there plans to do a complete upgrade of the site?
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2010 at 12:59am
You will want to look at the hardware and memory first.  Make sure you are using SQL and that it does not reside on the web server.  The programming language is barely a factor.  Classic ASP ran some of the largest, high profile sites on the web long before ASP.NET was an option.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2010 at 11:30am
In my experience, all other things being equal, I've almost always seen ASP classic applications run faster than ASP.NET applications. I would not consider the programming platform to be the main concern here at all.

That being said, scripting language can make an appreciable difference in the speed of the application in the ASP.NET platform, though; ASP.NET applications will general run faster when scripted in C# as opposed to VBScript.
cognecy View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2010 at 11:58am
Sir_Pafrro,

I have to concurr here.  If your page load times are getting slower and slower there is likely something elso going on with your site.  Any number of things can cause this: too many large images, coding errors on the header/footer, excessive use of external javascripts, network connectivity with your current host, configuration of servers your host is using, etc, etc, etc.

We have several customers with very large product catalogs and customer bases (images numbering 60000+ ,one with over 70,000 customers and a database well over 450MB) and their sites are amazingly fast.

If we ever see a site slowing down we would never even suspect the base development language as being the issue.  It is simply NOT a factor in the speed of your site and page load times.

Would you mind sharing with us where you are hosting your site as well as if this is a shared or dedicated server.
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
Hosting/Design/Customization/Database Migration
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic