ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - No relation between subcategory of the same name?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No relation between subcategory of the same name?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote padreick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No relation between subcategory of the same name?
    Posted: 29-February-2012 at 3:43pm
With the store I'm working on, there are a number of ways to reach the same subcategory from under different parent categories, but they appear to be unique, even though they have the same name and contents.

For example, the store sells saw blades. If you were looking for a specific line of products, let's say SawBladeSeriesX, you could get there by clicking a number of paths. Saw Blades>Material>Wood>SawBladeSeriesX or Saw Blades>Blade Type>Rip Saw>SawBladeSeriesX or Saw Blades>SawBladeMaker>SawBladeSeriesX and on and on...

So, my problem is that I added a short description to SawBladeSeriesX, but It turns out the change only took effect on Saw Blades>Material>Wood>SawBladeSeriesX but not Saw Blades>SawBladeMaker>SawBladeSeriesX.

Is there a way to make ProductCart recognize these as the same subcategory in different places? This is a problem just about everywhere in the store; hundreds and hundreds of instances, most of which are repeats. Any chance there is a solution? I hope?

Sorry for the long description and saying saw blades so muchSmile, I didn't feel like I could explain it concisely.

Thanks
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2012 at 4:12pm
Short answer:  no, this is not supported by stock functionality.

Longer answer:  it is possible that a developer could create some sort of custom solution.  It would require that a list of whatever sorts of bulk-updating requests you wanted to support, and then build a tool to accomplish such goals.
padreick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote padreick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2012 at 5:24pm
Ouch, I may just continue to plug them in manually. It probably wouldn't be too bad if the control panel wasn't EXCRUCIATINGLY slow. Loading the initial "Manage Product Categories" page takes 5-10 minutes, which is somewhat understandable considering the amount of information it loads, but opening each subcategory in a new tab takes 1-3 minutes to load and then again to apply the changes. Oh well, I'll live.

Thanks for the quick help, as always.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2012 at 7:35pm
Hi,  I don't know the details of your store, but I have seen stores have problems creating and maintaining structures like you describe. They also often, without a lot of care, can make the store more complex to navigate instead of simpler.  It sounds like your store is a good candidate for drill down navigation - http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/search_fields_widget
Another issue with having a very large/deep category tree is the time it takes to load for customers. I've seen category trees that make up 80%+ of the HTML of the page and it can have a significant impact on performance. From what you are describing you may already be in that territory!
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2012 at 7:37pm
Can you share a url?
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2012 at 8:18pm
Google is my friend :-) I'm almost certain I found your store - toolsxp.
At the moment your store load time is good, but the menu already makes up around 40% of the html of the page. Of course there are lots of other components of a page, such as images, css etc, but it's still a consideration. 
padreick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote padreick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2012 at 12:07pm
Haha, yup, that's the one. One of the first things I did was clean up the catmenu because the store took so long to load. Just the menu was 778KB... Drill-down does seem like a good idea for this, I'll have to read into it more, though I'm not the one calling the shots. I'm working on a friends store that was initially set-up by a 3rd person who is no longer aroundWacko Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely bring it up with him.
padreick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote padreick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2012 at 1:13pm
SEMI-SOLUTION: Under Manage Product Categories, there's a "clone" button next to every category. In the clone settings, you can change the parent category from a drop-down and select check boxes that allow you to include the same products and/or subcategories in the new, cloned category.

This let me clone a subcategory I made changes to, put it in different parent category, and then delete the old subcategory that wasn't being effected by changes. Not ideal, but definitely a time-saver.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic