ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Add-on's > Mobile Commerce Add-on
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newsletter Links & Mobile Site

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perennialcycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newsletter Links & Mobile Site
    Posted: 22-August-2016 at 11:41am
I'd like to be able to send links (like in a newsletter) that went to the regular website, no matter what device the link is being clicked on.
Is that possible?

Luke
Perennial Cycle

BTW: I have added the code that sends ipad users to the regular website (no redirecting to mobile site), so my issue is strictly with smartphones
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2016 at 12:03pm
Hello Luke,

I see you are running a v4 store.  Back when Early Impact released their v4 mobile storefront, I recognized the issue you are now running into.  In response to that issue, we engineered mobile support for SEO-friendly URLs.

Here is the same category in desktop and mobile for the following store:
http://www.cannonfuse.com/store/pc/Fuse-All-c2.htm
http://www.cannonfuse.com/store/m/Fuse-All-c2.htm

If you send the desktop link to your phone and click on it, you will find that it redirects to mobile.

Let me know if you would like to discuss this.

Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2016 at 12:30pm
Hi Luke,

It sounds to me like you want to send out links, which always point to the main site (not mobile).

Is that correct? 

Best Regards,
Matt Weber
NetSource Commerce
perennialcycle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perennialcycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2016 at 1:37pm
Thanks much for the replies,
I understand that sending a link to the standard site means that everyone on a phone will not be taken directly where I want, but rather they would be sent to the mobile site. I was hoping for a way to prevent the autodetect/redirect.

Possibly the only solution is to always use links that are from the mobile site? At least that way I'd know where I was sending everybody to...

Luke
Perennial Cycle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2016 at 1:55pm
Hello Luke,

It seems that Matt and I are interpreting your request differently, so I'm going to clarify what my solution delivers, and I'll ask that you clarify if that resolves what you are trying to accomplish.

If I recall correctly, in v4, if a mobile user clicks on a link that would ordinarily point to the desktop store, and if mobile is enabled, I think that the user would be redirected to the home page of mobile.  Then they have to go locate the product via the navigation or search tools in mobile.

The solution that my approach delivers is that if a link appears in an e-mail, pointing to the desktop storefront, but clicked on via a mobile device, we will redirect them to the mobile version of that page - be it a category, a product page or a content page.  If that link is clicked on via a desktop mail client, they will go to the desktop page.

With that said, could you provide an example from your own site that demonstrates just exactly what you need to overcome?
perennialcycle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perennialcycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2016 at 2:26pm
Currently when someone on a phone clicks a link on their phone, it directs them to the mobile site's home page.
I was dreaming of a simple way to add something to the link so that the auto-detect/redirect would not redirect phone users to the mobile site (because as my current website works, they would end up at the mobile home page, not the mobile version of the link I sent).
Clearly the best option would be to have the redirect actually go to the correct item or category that I'm sending them to with my desktop link, but if that's an option, it's not an option that works this afternoon for me.
Luke
Perennial Cycle

Edited by perennialcycle - 22-August-2016 at 2:27pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2016 at 2:42pm
OK, that's what I figured the issue was.  The stock v4 code redirects desktop links (when clicked on via a mobile device) to the mobile home page, and that is what I found to be very awkward.

The solution I presented resolves that issue.  We cause the desktop link to be redirected to the comparable mobile page.

You can test it here.  Send this link to your e-mail:
http://www.cannonfuse.com/store/pc/Fuse-All-c2.htm

Grab that e-mail on your mobile device and click the link, and it will forward you to this:
http://www.cannonfuse.com/store/m/Fuse-All-c2.htm

That's what you want, right?

Of course the ideal solution is to simply upgrade your store to v5 and be done with the problem.  We have time in our schedule for such a migration should you need assistance with either solution.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic