ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More Custom Product Fields

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fidjiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Custom Product Fields
    Posted: 07-February-2007 at 5:40pm
I have a lot of info for products that shouldn't be bundled with descriptions, like: width, depth, length (not oversized), bin location, notes, last date checked, UPC, estimated date available, processing time, external link, warranty...

I would also prefer to choose if such fields are displayed in the storefront or not. Maybe just some fields that say: Custom Non-Displayed Fields and Custom Search Fields which are displayed. That would be a great help. Then I wouldn't have to maintain 2 Databases.
I currently use the 3 standard search fields for UPC, Availability, and estimated date of arrival.

Linda - I wish I knew ASP.
To view my ever evolving site click the "www" button below. :)
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2007 at 9:56pm

Thanks for the posting.

Unlimited custom search fields is a good idea. Setting whether the field should be shown on the product details page is also a good idea. Unfortunately it's one of those features that is hard for us to update because of the fact that data needs to be moved to new tables and many files in ProductCart need to be updated, both in the storefront and in the Control Panel (add, edit, clone, import, export, etc. etc.).

We have added these suggestions to our development wish list, but given the size of the code changes, you should not expect to see them in the product in the short term.

A competent ASP programmer could help you add these changes specifically to your store, since you would likely not have to change as many areas of the product as we would in a general release. You can wait for other users/resellers to post here, or contact Certified ProductCart Developers at www.earlyimpact.com/cpd

The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
bkats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2007 at 1:55pm

Hello,

I too, would like to see this feature. It would be very useful for storing UPCs, ISBNs, as well as eBay auction numbers, and Amazon ASINs. This way the inventory can be managed in Product Cart and then propagated to eBay, Amazon and others by exporting from PC and then importing the stock levels to the other venues.

Currently I use the "Not for Sale Copy" field to store some of this information in a comma delimited format.

Thank you.

lucyzoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucyzoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2007 at 10:23pm
Greetings,
My company publishes books and audio products - all of which are assigned ISBNs and/or UPCs. It's industry standard and there is no avoiding it. And, each product has an author, product type (paperback, hardcover, etc.), year published, and number of pages/media. As with Amazon, customers expect to see this information displayed in a common format with each item.

After absorbing the User Guide and searching everywhere possible, it looks to me like I need to add more product "fields." And, with the exception of the ISBN, none of the other fields need to be searchable. I sent an email to TechSupport and they responded with use a  "custom searchable field" - which is not an option since there are only three fields, or programming for custom searchable fields.

But I don't think that's really what I want. Am I thinking about this correctly? I don't need custom search fields, I need to add more hardcoded product fields. Does that sound right?

Thanks,
Lucy Zoe
carstone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2007 at 7:57am

I am at that point, too, in my store setup. I, too, could benefit from the ability to add extra fields that don't have to be searchable. It is not a showstopper, however. I can always get it custom programmed.

rotokirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotokirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2007 at 4:20am
More custom product fields would indeed be a welcome addition!
bunger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2007 at 4:37pm
I will be adding these suggested features to a clients site in the next 2 weeks, if anyone is interested, I could document my changes or supply "update" files so that you can make these changes to your sites as well. Please respond to this message or PM me if interested.
fidjiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fidjiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2007 at 6:08pm
I would definitely appreciate it if you could document the changes and supply the update files here for the rest of us who need these things. :) I'm not a programmer so it may be a little hard for me to implement but I'd still love to know just in case i thought it would be easy enough to do. I have standard version 3.051 but will be updating to 3.1 soon.
Thanks!

bunger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2007 at 11:55am

I'll be working to expand some of the limitation from 3 to 20 or even make them completely dynamic. Would 20 be enough for most uses? Any input before I complete these changes is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

fidjiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fidjiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2007 at 12:05pm
20 would definitely be enough. :) Would we be able to import and export with those fields too? Just wondering what the limitations will be. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic