ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blocking IPs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logistix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2008 at 3:00pm
How would I go about blocking an IP with the variable "Local_Addr" using your whole range method Hamish? The spam is coming from the same local IP each time.

RemAddr = Request.ServerVariables("Local_Addr")
If (RemAddr >= "x.x.x.x") and (RemAddr <= "x.x.x.x") Then
  Response.End
End if

This doesn't seem to work, any ideas?
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2008 at 3:26pm
Hi Logistix,
     Hmmm - I'm no great expert on this so I did a quick Google. According to the info I found:-

LOCAL_ADDR  :  Returns the server address on which the request came in.

I would understand that to mean that the address you would get from that is the server at your ISP that received the request - I would think this would always be the same for ALL traffic, legitimate or spam.  If so then if you succeed you would you block your site off from the world Wacko  (I guess that would block the site spammer !!!! ) Have I  misunderstood this?

Logistix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logistix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2008 at 4:25pm

Sorry Hamish I mis-understood what Local_Addr does. It's the local IP of the server not of the workstation which made the request. My bad :)

Is there a quicker way of blocking IPs if I want to block lots of ranges of IPs?
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2008 at 1:57pm
Hi, there are several options, as always. It partly depends on how much updating it will require & how many ranges you want to block.

What are these miscreants doing? Are they trying to login to your site as Admin or Users?

If so then an easier solution that will pretty much stop them in their tracks is to switch on the "captcha" images in :-
Settings > Advanced Security Settings
- Enable both the "Use random number images" options.

It blocks pretty much every automated method of attacking the login pages and slows dramatically slows down manual attacks as they have to get the password right AND make sure they get the numbers from the image entered correctly. If you enable this the bad guys will most likely move on to fresh targets.
Logistix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logistix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2008 at 9:29am
Check your Private Messages Hamish :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic