ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UTF-8, ANSI Coding.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2008 at 11:35pm
I'm using the TM and R symbols, those should be recognized by UTF-8, no?  I mean if I write them like this, &reg; and &#153; - than they will show up in both UTF-8 and ISO-5589.

But, anyway - I went on Dell's site, and they have the UTF-8 meta, and when I switch my browser to ISO-8859 on their site, their TM and R's signs mess up.  They only work in UTF-8... and that's what we want.  Here is a sample page:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/pressoffice/en/2008/2008_09_08_rr_000?c=us&l=en&s=corp

Switch to ISO-5589 and you will see the TM and R, with foreign marks next to them.  I know you should be able to display TM and R in UTF-8, and that's what we need.  Converting the .asp files to UTF-8 helped some... because the TM and R will display when the browser is set to UTF-8, but the problem is that it doesn't happen everytime, only like 50% of the time.  The other half of the time, the TM and R have the invalid symbol, even though the browser is still set to UTF-8, see it doesn't make any sense.  The TM and R should show up everytime since we changed the encoding to UTF-8.  ARGH!  It's aggravating, because on our configuration pages, we use a lot of these TM and R - and the page looks like crap with all these invalid symbols.
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2008 at 11:43pm
You can try the suggestion in the following FAQ and see if it works for you:

The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2008 at 12:55am
Hi Jwl, I understand you are getting frustrated.  The recommendation I gave you is what I would consider the easiest way.   I tested it on our demo store. Trying to re-encode the page is a lot more work than is needed and may lead to other problems. Ultimately, you can display a trademark in UTF-8 or ISO-5589.  The character you use just has to match the declaration. 

I think the problem you were first explaining is that your &reg was being converted by the HTML editor.  To retain the &reg you need to type into the text box and not the HTML editor.  Then you can use UTF-8.

On the other hand, if you use the HTML editor and it is being converted you should use ISO-8859. 

So I recommend that you try one or the other.  Make sure the character you saved match te page declaration.  That works on our demo store and it will work for you as well.
JWL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2008 at 1:28pm
Hi, no - originally... I did put the &reg; when creating - for instance the BTO items, but even when you put this type of code &#153; in the "name" or "description" boxes, when you save the updates to the BTO item, it converts this code to the actual (tm) (r) symbols.

I understand, what you are saying about the html editor, but we're not using that to input the &reg; and &#153; code into the BTO description and title - we are using the basic editor.

If we could get these codes to stay as is without converting to the actual symbols - than yes... problem would be solved, because that's how we do the (tm) and (r) symbols on the rest of our pages.

Are you saying you have put the &reg; and &#153; code on a BTO item, and when you save the info - it doesn't convert these to the actual symbols?

Edited by JWL - 10-September-2008 at 6:56pm
JWL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2008 at 1:49am
EUREKA!  I figured out how to make it work.  Instead of trying to convert all the pages
to UTF-8... you just put the meta tag - but put it for the encoding in which the pages
are already encoded which is: ISO8859-1.  So put this tag in the header.
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO8859-1" />

That's all you have to do to get rid of all the (r) and (tm) invalid symbols.

See, in IE7 - I think the browser automatically detects the encoding of the page
even without a meta tag, but in FF3 - the default encoding is set at UTF-8 and
unless you specify a meta tag FF won't switch to the proper encoding of the
page and thus you get the invalid character symbols.

WOW... this was so aggravating me... and, it was so simple to fix. I was
wondering why FF didn't auto-detect the page encoding, like IE7 does - but,
regardless - all you need to do is use the above meta-tag to tell FF3 which
encoding to use for the page and FF3 will switch to that encoding.

WIN!

Edited by JWL - 27-September-2008 at 1:52am
inetbizo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inetbizo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2008 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

You do not need to re-encode the files. There are stores using Western, Hebrew, Chinese, etc...  They all rely on the correct meta data for the type of characters they are displaying.

The symbols you need can be created with ISO-8859.

http://htmlhelp.com/reference/charset/iso160-191.html

Using the original files add the following tag to your <head> section:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

If you were using the characters from the UTF-8 character set then your UTF-8 meta tag would have worked. So I suspect you just need ISO-8859.  This works on our demo store.

If you want to preserve special characters then type them directly into the text box, instead of into the HTML editor.

We hope this helps.
Can you use a code bbc format and list orders to indicate to newbies who might not know how to edit like we do or produce a wiki doc on ISO character standards and how to implement them?
Current Project http://www.canvasusa.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic