ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

where is table info?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Hadden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: where is table info?
    Posted: 25-January-2013 at 1:00pm
Excuse my ignorance on these questions, I have never worked much with code of any kind.

I am trying to change the header a bit. The way product cart comes out of the box there is a search box in the center of the header, store name on the left, then a couple ad boxes on the right. All I want to do is put that search box under the ad boxes on the right. I fooled around with it a bit but putting in a "right tag" centers the search box on top of the ad boxes, They seem like they are in a table <div id="pcHeader">  how do I make the height of that bigger and stack the ad boxes over the search box?

Thanks
Chris
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2013 at 2:20pm
Hi Chris,

It's all quite easy, but does require some basic understanding of CSS, as is the case with any web site these days.

All of the objects in the header are positioned within a container, pcHeaderContainer. So first, you'd want to make sure you've adjusted the height of the container to provide the vertical room you need.

Then simply change the position of pcHeaderCenter to fit under pcHeaderRight -- maybe something like top:320px;right:0;
Chris Hadden View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Hadden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2013 at 3:06pm
Thanks, bear with me on this for just a moment, steep learning curve. I am sure this sounds totally stupid but .......

is the pcheaderContainers properties dictated from a file located somewhere else? that was what I was wondering. Is changing the height of it is done in another file? or is it done by adding script directly into the header.asp?
Chris
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2013 at 3:29pm
Hi Chris,

By default the CSS for the global styling of the site is stored in /pc/pcHeaderFooter11.css. The more internal style rules are stored in /pc/pcHeaderFooter11.css. There are other style sheets as well.

Here's a tip for you: if you don't have Google Chrome browser installed, install that. Browse your site with it and right click on anything you want to see how it style and where the style rules are coming from -- say the search box in the header -- and select Inspect Element. This will bring up the Developer Tools. The Developer Tools will show you what rules are being applied and where they are coming from. You can even edit them in the toolbox to get things right and then copy your style rules to the appropriate style sheet. This will be a huge help for you. I can't live without it ;-)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Hadden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2013 at 3:41pm
Ok thanks for that will investigate and try chrome.
Chris
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2013 at 2:31am
Welcome to the brave (not so) new world of contemporary site design via CSS, Chris. It's a big leap from the old school formatting you'd be accustomed to with SF5, but the basics are simple (esp. with a handy tool like Chrome's Developer Tools) and I'm sure you'll catch on quickly. 

Feel free to tap this thread more as you explore it. These things are simple for me to reply back on, and I'd be more than happy to ramp you up, and any others reading, on styling PC.

The basics are simple, but some issues of styling can be advanced with PC's markup. It's not always easy to really dial in elegant rules in some areas, mostly because of the sheer number of style sheets PC uses and the nature of CSS inheritance. But it can be done, and I have a ton of experience with using pure CSS to get around inconvenient PC markup.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Hadden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2013 at 10:17am
Thanks, I was able to figure that out per your guidance.
Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic