ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

State Codes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 4:21pm
Matt,
   Is there an ISO list of codes for UK Counties?  I googled for it but did not find anything.

I suspect even if there is - The codes are not used in UK addresses - so customers would not know which code to select - or does it show the full "state" in the drop down?

Neil - includes/languages.asp is your friend Big%20smile - If you ever want to change text on a page - look in there!

Hamish

Edited by Hamish - 20-May-2008 at 5:17pm
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 4:37pm
The customer sees the fullname.

You would not add the prefix "GB-" when you save the regions.
Justplaying View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justplaying Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 4:57pm
Thanks for that, all changed and looks positively British now LOL

Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 5:16pm
Thanks Matt.  Thumbs%20Up
Justplaying - Implemented already - cool!

I'm going to implement a subset of these for a client who just delivers to a limited geographical area. 

Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 4:25am
Things just got a bit confused again.
I noticed that the ISO is a list of administrative areas of the UK and NOT postal areas.

For example, Bracknell Forest is never used in addresses and Middlesex was missing, which, although no longer a county is still used in postal addresses :-

<snip>
Middlesex is still used informally as an area name and was retained as a postal county; which is now an optional component of postal addresses
</snip>

The KEY item there is optional component of postal addresses. Investigating further led me to :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_counties_of_the_United_Kingdom

<snip>
The Royal Mail has ceased to use the postal counties as a means of sorting mail following the modernisation of their optical character recognition equipment in 1996. Instead, using postcode defined circulation, the outward code (first half) of the post code is used to differentiate between like-sounding post towns. The former postal county (as they are now known) for each post town as it was in 1996 is still held on record by the Royal Mail but where new post towns are created they will not be assigned to a former postal county. Where it is possible, and it is proven there is demand, Royal Mail will consider changes to their address data. Under their code, however, changes to county data will not be considered
</snip>

Yet more digging leads to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_town  "A post town is a required part of all postal addresses in the United Kingdom" and a link to a list of the UK postal towns - http://www.evoxfacilities.co.uk/evoxptn.html
The royal mail, being the  short sighted leviathan that it is, maintain the definitive list of Postal Towns - but you have to buy it.

Where does that leave us?
Back at the beginning I'm afraid - The ISO list does not cross reference with the postal counties, which have always been different & is now officially defunct.
The list of postal towns is both huge & does not have assigned 2-4 character codes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic