ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eliminate Capitals in urls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ledfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eliminate Capitals in urls
    Posted: 28-March-2006 at 8:32pm

I'm not sure if this has been subsequently taken care of, but in some previous versions of productcart, some url reference contained capital letters in them. for example www.mysite.com/Productcart/pc/viewCat.asp.

The reason for this suggestion is that in unix, a url with Capitals in it and on without capitals are treated as the same url. With windows platforms.../Productcart/pc/.... and /productcart/pc/.... and ../ProductCart/pc/... are seen as total unique urls. Also Google is case sensitive and so they would see that the above three urls all have the same content and thus would penalize two of the three pages. However if this kind of thing is happening on a massive scale, they may just penalize not just these three, but all you pages.

It is best practice to make all urls lowercase.

ksbrzoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksbrzoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2007 at 11:17pm
I am having problems with the inconsistent use of capitals in the links and
files. I am getting 404 errors. My hosting company has a unix which is case
sensitive, and their suggestion was to put an .htaccess file with a directive,
but they would not give me details on how to do that. Has anyone used
a .htaccess file to help with the case sensitivity?
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2007 at 11:56pm

ProductCart is not supported under UNIX or Linux.  Here are the server requirements:

Windows 2000/2003 Server
XML 3.0 parser installed (only required if you are using real-time UPS rate calculations)
Support for MS Access or MS SQL
Ability to set READ/WRITE/DELETE Folder Permissions FOR THE *EVERYONE* user

Please ask your hosting provider to switch you to a Windows server.

The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
ksbrzoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksbrzoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2007 at 8:07am
Well, supposedly the server runs a windows/Unix combination. After going
back and forth with them on verifying that they are compatible with
ProductCart or any Windows program, they said they were. I'll take it up
again with them.
Thanks
NWilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NWilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2007 at 4:45am
It wouldn't be all that difficult to use something like Grep to just do a find&replace on the entire productcart directory and change filenames' references (and the filenames themselves) to lowercase.  If you wanted to be real lazy about it you should just convert EVERY character to lowercase.  If you're not actively editing asp then changing the casing on such a wide scale shouldn't impact you at all.  Mind you you'd have to do this after every update.  I'd just recommend swapping to a windows server.  Sounds like they've got you on unix with something like chillisoft.

Edited by NWilliams - 09-February-2007 at 4:51am
metalmania View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalmania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2007 at 9:22am

Originally posted by ledfish ledfish wrote:

With windows platforms.../Productcart/pc/.... and /productcart/pc/.... and ../ProductCart/pc/... are seen as total unique urls. Also Google is case sensitive...

Just had to clarify a couple of points.

Windows is NOT case sensitive - click here for info.

And neither is Google - click here for more info and see the Capitilisation info.

UNIX is case sensitive, but as pointed out ProductCart requires a windows platform.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic