ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exluding Gift Certificates from Coupons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrekLightGear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exluding Gift Certificates from Coupons
    Posted: 21-October-2008 at 4:42pm
Does anyone know of any easy way to exclude coupons from applying to Gift Certificate purchases?   Nobody has taken advantage of this yet, but it just occurred to me that anyone could take a big discount coupon, use it to buy a Gift Certificate, and then they'd basically have a discount that would have no expiration date (as my GC's do).

I know that you can set coupons to apply only to certain categories and so I've gone through my current coupons and manually set them to apply to every category except the GC's.   But that's a huge pain to have to do for every coupon, especially as my category list grows.

Any ideas?   It would definitely make sense to have an option in the CP to allow or disallow coupons to be applied if there's a Gift Certificate product in the shopping cart. 
CoffeeShop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoffeeShop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2008 at 3:40pm
use a separate category for Gift Certificates and when creating your coupons exclude that category.
TrekLightGear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrekLightGear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2008 at 12:39pm
Maybe I missed something, but I thought you could only include categories for a coupon as opposed to exclude?    That's why it's taking me so long to have to check every one of my categories except the GC's.   It would definitely be an acceptable solution if I could just easily exclude the GC category but I don't see any way to do that in my Control Panel.
CoffeeShop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoffeeShop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2008 at 5:02am
How many main categories do you have? You can select the 'main' ones and then 'include its subcategories'. Select all the main categories excluding the Gift Certificate Category. I'm not exactly sure how you set-up your categories but I like to believe your primary/main categories won't go beyond 100? You only do this once, you can always clone the GC product so you don't have to select each category again.
TrekLightGear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrekLightGear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2008 at 11:48pm
I don't have that many categories to have to select every single time, so I don't want to make this sound like a bigger deal than it is.   But having to click 15 different checkboxes every time I create a coupon is still time consuming and I'm thinking there's got to be an easier way to exclude the GC's from the coupons.

I'm not sure what you meant by 'you only do this once'...I don't see any way to clone or copy coupons. If that were the case it help solve the problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic